Breaking blades, a footnote

Wichman

While researching for the bolts to secure the Hegner to the brackets for the Miter saw stand, I ran across a short note in the Hegner Manual that discussed the size of blade to the blade holders.

There are three sizes of blade holders for the Hegner; .5mm (blades, #4 and smaller), .7mm ( #4 though #9 ) and 1.0mm ( larger than #9 ). Using too large a holder may result in premature failure at the clamp.

.7 mm is the standard size that ships with the Hegner. I use mostly smaller than #4 blades and I had been having issues lately braking more blades than normal.  I have ordered new blade holders; two sets of .5mm and one set of 1.0mm. I'll update after I've had a chance to try them out.

I always match the clamp to the blade size, as you listed.  However it is my experience that I break more blades (usually Pegas mg) with my Hegner than my Excalibur.  The clamps are fantastic, but many breaks occur at the jaw of the clamp.  I usually eject the 1/8 inch piece in the jaw and reclamp and retension the remaining blade.  I also loosen the top screw about a quarter turn to allow the blade assembly more freedom of movement, but breaks still can occur.