Killdeer/Killdee

Charlie E

I've always referred to them as Killdeer also. We have bunches around my property during the summer. They'll build their nests in the darndest places. Fortunately they are low to the ground and the mower will go over them without damaging the nest. Great picture and cutting, by the way. Looks like you're making good use of that rough-cut wood. Makes for nice pieces.

4 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Very nice work.   I don't think I've ever seen one.  

I have done a lot of birds and this one would be nice to add to my collection.  Any chance of sharing the pattern in the "New pattern Announcements"  Would be much appreciated.

They are fascinating birds. They lay their eggs on the ground with no real nest, just sort of a wallowed out place, sometimes even in gravel. You'll know you're close to their eggs when they start chirping loudly and running around to lead you away from it. They will stop and lay on the ground and feign a broken wing, like they are luring a predator away from their eggs. I didn't really work from a pattern, just an edited picture of a real Killdeer, so I made a pattern from the cutting I did. You may have to alter it a bit as you go.

killdeer pattern.png

download.jpg

Edited by Charlie E