Making templates

rjR

If I think that I am going to make more than one of a thing; I try to make templates instead of just paper patterns. As I always use clear tape over my cutting anyway, it works well, 

I draw around my template with a finer point permanent markers on the tape and then another layer of tape over the top.  

The pictures are of my latest template for a bear cub.  I did NOT print it; picture was taken from the computer monitor.

I found a silhouette that I liked, did my own version of it some modifications all over it.  I then taped it to the wood scrap (3/4-Oak) with a layer of Masonite over the oak. After the cutting I have a cub and a template. 

Sorry, I do not know the blade #   used.  Masonite is very hard on blades, even with the tape and I also use candle stubs on the running blades as extra lubricant. That trtick I learned from the book for my first scrollsaw, bought in 1953!

I also use thin plastic and even light plywood for the templates, basically anything that will last and is thin. I even have a few sheet metal ones made this way.  To make the metal ones though, I sandwich the metal between 2 pieces of the wood I am using. It cuts slower and needs more wax than the wood or plastic ones do as you cut.

Last picture is of the cub and the template. 

I hope this helps someone. 

DSCF0073.JPG

DSCF0074.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

DSCF0079.JPG

Edited by rjR
Typing error

I used templates for many years until I got a scanner. Now the box with the templates collects dust. Paper patterns are much easier and produce more accurate results. Templates are not very good for projects with multiple parts that must fit together precisely.

I convert every pattern to SVG, where I can easily change the pattern size, color, or width of the lines.

I also use templates quite a lot.. Though I've really only made a couple permanent ones which are clock bases because I make so many of them.. However if I'm working on a project that requires more than one shape I typically will cut the first one then just trace around the others for instance this piece I'm currently working on. I cut just one of each of these pieces that'll be glued together eventually. I'll never make this piece again so no need to make an actual template..  

EDIT: For the lighter colored circle was the paper pattern but I needed a larger circle so I took a flat washer and put the pencil in the hole of the washer and trace around the outer circle to create a larger one. I have a stack of different sized washers for various larger sizes.. Typically use that method for signs and plaques that I want a backer slightly larger.. but it worked real well for this project too. 

8A943128-4BBA-4C8E-9960-CE595912C165.jpeg.0216ac7d631a77de73e913286b6cf9e2.jpeg

Edited by kmmcrafts

Here is a template I tried for a while. The finishing nails mark the location for drilling and hold the template in place. I stopped using this method because it was easier and faster to set a custom page size in Inkscape to the wood size and arrange the patterns to fit. Print it and apply it to the wood.

13471854_20170806132516WoodenToyCarsandTrucksPlayPalsShopTemplateNails.thumb.jpg.d14c0af791bf7d231450ab25cb868cf4.jpg