New here

bourbon25

Welcome ! I have heard the Axminister pro saws are the UK equivalent to our North American King Industrial which is a good sort of mid to high level saw. Then of course there is the Hengers which are a high level saw but are pricey. I'm not sure what to recommend that's available to you as a good beginner to mid-level saw -- here the Dewalt 788 is often recommended for this category. I know from my research there are quite a few brands that are made in the same factory in China, they just change the colors. 

Obviously do your own research but here are some examples of the saws that appear to be the same saw with differing coats of paint and minor bells and whistle differences. I can't speak for the quality of any of these but knowing they are similar might be good info to have when shopping. I suspect that there are probably many more that are the same this is just an example.

Our reviews tab is a good resource as well. Scroll Saw Reviews - Scroll Saw Village

artisansaw.png

axminstersaw.png

einhellsaw.png

Harborfreightsaw.png

Rikonsaw.png

Ryobisaw.png

shopfoxsaw.png

shopseriessaw.png

skilsaw.png

steelgripsaw.png

titansaw.png

Wensaw.png

xtremepowersaw.png

Edited by James E. Welch

Here are some that are similar designs in the same family of saws. This is where the Axminister Pro I've heard falls in. Again do your own research. I have heard that the new Excalibur is not quality made like the older ones but I can't verify this. 

I personally own a King Industrial and a Hegner and can vouch for both of them. Hopefully I haven't confused you and also hopefully I'm not chased out of this forum by angry saw owners who inform me of how wrong I am. LOL 😅

axminstersawpro.png

jetsaw.png

Kingsaw.png

pegassaw.png

seycosaw.png

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, bourbon25 said:

Hi. I'm from the Midlands UK. Bit of a tinkerer in my small workshop where I fix most things that come in there. I work as a technical sales assistant at a well known UK machine supplies store. I was thinking of getting a scroll saw but unsure which one to get, although I have a preference for Clarke brand.

Hi from North Wales,

have a look on facebook etc and see if you can find a Aldi scroll saw for sale, they were cheap BUT are made by Scheppach and worth double what aldi sold them for i have a second hand one and works a treat for me,

i did start with a B and Q one which was stuck in the shed for years couldnt get the hang of it but once i learned about blades and such it works fine but the aldi one has a speed control which helps,

the clarke brand are probably made in the same factory by the look of them,

UK machine supplies store, Machine Mart just thinking as you mentioned Clarke?

hope it helps Misty

Hello from sunny Southern California, U.S.A. You have been given some very good information in all of the above. I've got two early Excaliburs prior to their selling out to mainland China. Those saws are not what you want. My Excaliburs are great saws. I also have a Hegner and it is bulletproof. I'm not sure if you have much of a used market over there but do some shopping around and you might find a good used saw that someone got frustrated and is selling it rather than learning how to use it. Again, welcome to the scroll Saw Village. We are a friendly group no matter which saw you choose. Just have fun! That's what it is all about.

• 3 weeks later...