Are you needing a new printer?

Dave Monk

Very similar to the Epson I used to have.. I loved it for the larger format but hated the ink system.. This one may be better than mine because this one looks to have ink tanks rather than the cartridge's like mine had.. Cost me a fortune in ink but I sure worked that thing printing patterns and labels before I got a special thermal label printer.. Once it bit the dust for the second time after only about 4 years I was done and went to a small black and white laser printer.. I've always heard good things about the laser printers and I must say it was all true.. My only complaint is I wish I'd have went with a color one so I could print patterns with red lines.. I don't think I'll ever buy another inkjet again.. If I didn't use that Epson I had every few days the ink would dry in the print head and I was continually wasting ink to clean the print head..

The large format was really nice back when I did larger projects but I've slimmed down the larger items and most everything now fits a standard 8.5 x 11.. I'm going with a color laser for sure next time.. I'm just not sure if this Brother printer is ever going to break down.. I've only replaced the ink in my laser printer twice now in 4 years.. and just was only a month or so ago when I changed it the second time..     

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Very similar to the Epson I used to have.. I loved it for the larger format but hated the ink system.. This one may be better than mine because this one looks to have ink tanks rather than the cartridge's like mine had.. Cost me a fortune in ink but I sure worked that thing printing patterns and labels before I got a special thermal label printer.. Once it bit the dust for the second time after only about 4 years I was done and went to a small black and white laser printer.. I've always heard good things about the laser printers and I must say it was all true.. My only complaint is I wish I'd have went with a color one so I could print patterns with red lines.. I don't think I'll ever buy another inkjet again.. If I didn't use that Epson I had every few days the ink would dry in the print head and I was continually wasting ink to clean the print head..

The large format was really nice back when I did larger projects but I've slimmed down the larger items and most everything now fits a standard 8.5 x 11.. I'm going with a color laser for sure next time.. I'm just not sure if this Brother printer is ever going to break down.. I've only replaced the ink in my laser printer twice now in 4 years.. and just was only a month or so ago when I changed it the second time..     

It's a tank printer. 

I have the Epson ET-16600.  Looks a lot similar.  I got mine over a year ago at office Depot for a significantly highr price.   It works great. 

I print a lot of 11x17 and I only recently had to add new ink.  I like the ink tanks much better than the cartriges.

I bought a ream of the 13 x 19 paper on line and it will last me a long time.   Don't use too much of it but it sure is nice when you need it.  it is great for utilizing the full 12" project panels I use.  I often need just that extra 2 inch width you can't print on the 11" wide paper.

7 hours ago, Millwab said:

Dave, can you explain the difference between a tank printer and one that uses cartridges.  The only inkjet printers I’m familiar with are ones that use cartridges.

A tank printer has reservoirs that you fill with bottles of ink. The printers are more expensive to buy but you don't have to buy those expensive ink cartridges. 

I'm still using an HP LaserJet 4 printer that was given to me almost 20 years ago. They still sell off brand refilled cartridges for it, so why upgrade? It does what I want for scrolling.

I have an Epson for office scanning and printing and a Canon IX 6820 for photo work. The Canon can do the 13 X 19 if I ever need, but it's been a couple of years since I scrolled anything that needed a sheet larger than 8 1/2 X 11".

Maybe, when I run out of easy-to-get toner cartridges for the Laserjet 4, I'll replace it with something newer, but I just don't see needing a better printer for my scrolling needs right now.

Charley