Call for Designers! - 2023 Ornaments For Charity

Travis

PatternDrive-SSV.jpgHalloween is over, and now we're turning our attention to the Holidays!  We're continuing our tradition here at Scroll Saw Village by publishing our annual e-Book full of Christmas ornaments. This popular eBook was featured in the Holiday 2014 issue of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine.  Tjese ornament designs are exclusive to this eBook and designed by our fellow SSV members. The idea is, anyone can download the eBook in exchange for a donation to their favorite charity. Our hope is that we'd be able to raise some money for very worthy causes and provide some cool patterns at the same time.

*** But we need your help! ***

We need some volunteers to design some ornaments.

• Each designer will provide 5 patterns (no more, no less)
  • I ask that the designs are not made available anywhere else (this gives value to the e-book)
  • They have to be designed specifically by you (no posting other people's patterns)
  • Designs must be emailed (or PM) to Travis by Wednesday, November 22nd (info below)

A few things to keep in mind:

• Religious and secular designs are accepted.
  • Other religions/traditions also celebrate this time of year, so let's not forget them.
  • Keep detail and size appropriate for an ornament.
  • Don't submit copyrighted or licensed patterns.
  • The due date will sneak up on you quicker than you think.  Please get them to me ASAP so I have time to work on them.

What do you get in exchange?

• Credit for your design.
  • The warm fuzzy feeling that you're helping others in need.

Submitting your ornaments:

• Email the ornaments directly to Travis (travis [at] scrollsawvillage.com) or PM me.
  • Formats accepted are JPG, PNG. Please keep the pattern in black & white only (no gray). That way I can convert them easier when putting together the ebook.
  • I prefer Inkscape files (SVG) if you can. This is ideal if you know how to use Inkscape. That way I don't have to manually convert them.

So last year, we were blessed and got 12 designers to donate a total of 60 new ornament patterns.  This year, I'd like to beat last year's submissions.  I know it can be done because we've done it in the past.  How great would it be to get 60 or more new ornament patterns in this year's book?  All skill levels are welcome.  The goal is to create a really cool eBook that will benefit those in need.

I'm designing.  Who's with me!?

Hi Travis,

Just want to thank you again for the Ornaments for Charity.

Our Scroll saw club, Baystate Scrollahs,  have been making ornaments to decorate the Holiday tree at Woodcraft in Walpole MA. for about 8 years now.  Tree goes up day after Thanksgiving.  The club votes on a local charity each year.  The store sells the ornaments, only $5 each, and the monies then are given to the Charity for that year.  Last year the club raised $1305. That's at $5 each...That's a lot of Ornaments!!!  The store now has people come in each year specifically looking for the Ornaments and what's  new designs for the current year.  It has become a traditions for their kids to go to WC and pick out their Ornament for their tree at home.  It's a WIN, WIN, WIN for everybody.  Store get their tree decorated, Our Club gets visibility and shows the wonderful neat things the little saw can make, and the Charity gets need monies.

Maybe some of your Scroll Saw Village people can approach their local woodworking store and see about a similar way to show ornaments for sale for their local charities.

Thanks again Travis...you do so much for this wonderful genre of woodworking.

Melita

On 11/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, Melita said:

Hi Travis,

Just want to thank you again for the Ornaments for Charity.

Our Scroll saw club, Baystate Scrollahs,  have been making ornaments to decorate the Holiday tree at Woodcraft in Walpole MA. for about 8 years now.  T

Melita

Melita

Where is Woodcraft in Walpole?  I actually grew up in Sharon from 1971 - 1982, and the Walpole Mall and the old bowling alley across the street were my old haunts.  I then moved to Windsor Gardens for a couple of years too during college. During that time I worked ER Security at Norwood Hospital. (The old hospital, as they were building the new one)

When I was 17 in 1979, I worked for Raytheon Data Systems on Route 1, just north of the Mall, they knocked it down.  We also had the Education Center across RT 1, next to Building 19 3/4.

• Travis locked and unpinned this topic