3M Double Sided Tape For Layered Projects Instead Of Glue

kmmcrafts

run across this stuff while browsing one of the laser forums I'm on.. Thought it might be useful for certain type of scrolled projects so thought I'd share. 

The folks on the laser site said they put this stuff on the back of the project before they laser cut it.. then once the backer is also cut and they're ready for gluing to the backer they just peel the protective stuff off the to expose the tape and place it onto the backer... I guess it's sticky as they say to make sure you're lined up because once you stick it you're not going to move it..

They mentioned to not buy the stuff on Amazon because the quality is bad.. and they mentioned some other sites that I assume are known laser supply sites as I've never heard of them.. I just googled the 3M 467MP number and grainger has it.. Not sure why they say not to get it on Amazon.. 3M 467MP should all be the same quality unless someone is selling stuff that didn't pass Quality Control, LOL Anyway I found it on Grainger.. 

I might give it a try sometime since I've been doing a lot of layered ornaments.. I also wonder how it'd do for those that make jigsaw puzzles from photos or old calendars etc.. 

I didn't go looking for the best price or anything.. I also seen it comes in various widths and lengths.. 

https://www.grainger.com/product/24WG69?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2293:99F1R6:20501231&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiApaarBhB7EiwAYiMwqqsJ50eOjJdQ5TyxGA6Sbojwe5P3G7yFpIYtlhBxXKaSCxqvjMVcuBoC8-EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

I have used this stuff extensively while working at an art publishing business. Miles and miles of 1/2"wide tape rolls used in a special dispenser call a ATG gun.

There are several grades of adhesive; from kinda repositionable (until seated with pressure) to "oh crap that never moving".

All the grades of adhesive can be removed with heat (we used a laundry iron with no water in it).

I didn't know it was available in wide rolls though. I may have to try a roll or two.

Once set, we would pound the material with the heel of our hands, it is permanent.

3 minutes ago, TAIrving said:

The manufacturer's site and the Amazon site talk about using it with plastic and metal but do not mention wood.  So I have to ask, does it work with wood?  But from the comments posted here I think I already have an answer.  

We mostly used this for the mat board, we used another version 1/8" wide for adhering fillets ( wood ) to the mat board.

1 minute ago, TAIrving said:

The manufacturer's site and the Amazon site talk about using it with plastic and metal but do not mention wood.  So I have to ask, does it work with wood?  But from the comments posted here I think I already have an answer.  

The guys on the laser site are using it on wood layered ornaments.. they place it on before laser cutting the ornaments and then peel and stick to the backer.. Here is a sample of a layered ornament that I made.. I've been using glue but it's a job not getting too much glue and getting squeezed out and then not getting enough glue and having them come apart.. Everyone on the laser site was saying that's all they use and it works great.. Also glue doesn't stick the greatest to painted surfaces.. when painting I be careful not to paint a small area around the outer edge to get a decent bond.. I think the tape would work on the painted surface just fine. 

DSC00451.JPG

Thanks Kevin @kmmcrafts and Wichita @Wichman.  

It sounds like an excellent product for woodworking.  Like Kevin said, I have issues with attaching/gluing fretwork to a backer and trying to avoid squeeze out.  

Has anyone tried scrolling a pattern with this stuff already stuck on the back of the panel?  Does it cut or does it get caught up in the blade and make a mess?  

I haven't tried it yet.. I might order some and give it a try on the scroll saw.. if all else fails I could use it in the laser like the guys on the laser site do..  I would think it would scroll no different than using tape around a stacked project but I don't know.. I could see it causing issues if you was to wear through the paper that you peel off.. then you might have the permanent scroll saw project stuff to your saw table, LOL