3D Christmas tree pictorial

Charlie E

This will probably wind up very confusing but I'll do my best to explain. The original idea I got from a man named John Shutz. His patterns were for bandsaw. The first picture shows four different sized patterns that I drew. Mine range from around 4 inches tall to 11 inches tall. They are simple to draw but notice the branches or boughs alternate from side to side rather that being even. The patterns are folded down the midde as in picture 2. I put mine on a Little Debbie Christmas Tree box. It's festive and has already has a crease. :) Put the pattern on one corner of the appropriate sized piece of square wood and trace the pattern onto the wood as in pictures 3 and 4. You will need to do this on 4 identical pieces of wood. Cut whichever side you prefer first. Picture 5. You can tape the pieces back together as you would with a compound cut for making the second cut, picture 6. Or I prefer to take it apart and cut it as shown in picture 7. It's a little more tedious holding it but cuts much easier/quicker. After the second cut you should have something like picture 8. Repeat the process on the remaining 3 pieces. With 4 pieces done it is time to glue. I try to put glue along the 90 degree corner of the piece, picture 9, without getting in onto the branches as some of this will be exposed after gluing the pieces together. Put the pieces together as shown in picture 10 and wrap rubber bands around them. If needed add a clamp or two, picture 11. After drying a half hour or so I remove the clamps and rubber bands, sand as needed and finish. :) 

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

7.jpeg

9.jpeg

8.jpeg

10.jpeg

13.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

Edited by Charlie E

Wonderful pictorial.. and I also love your Lab(?) like mine is right in the middle of everything I do, mostly to drop a ball, for me to throw.  spent a lot of time today, Ali, my best friend was with me the whole time putting his ball in the pile of leaves so I could hide it he could look for it spread the leaves back out to get to it.  I have more patience with that dog than I ever had with my kids.  

Edited by Scrappile

9 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Wonderful pictorial.. and I also love your Lab(?) like mine is right in the middle of everything I do, mostly to drop a ball, for me to throw.  spent a lot of time today, Ali, my best friend was with me the whole time putting his ball in the pile of leaves so I could hide it he could look for it spread the leaves back out to get to it.  I have more patience with that dog than I ever had with my kids.  

Thank you. Opal, the dog, loves me enormously. She's my wife's dog but I'm her person. I try to love her but she's a bit annoying in that when my wife lets her in at night I can't get a minutes peace without her sticking her head in my lap and panting. I know it's sweet but it does get old. I'd love it if she'd lay down by me like some dogs do. I love that about your dog wanting his ball hidden in the leaves.  :) 

Edited by Charlie E

17 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Pets don't turn on you when they get to be teens. LOL.