Opinions Please

Scrappile

I have a want to someday own a second saw again.  Been watching craigslist,  and this one is within a few miles of me.  BUT, I do not know Hawk saws, other than what I read here.  I get the feeling there are some good ones and some maybe not as good ones.  This, to me, looks nice, but I do not know.  It is very clean, and does not look at all abused. But what so you look for if one was to go look at it.  Some motors were not good. Some clamps were not so good.. I just do not know.  It worries me. I am not rich, so this is a none necessary expense for me, but I guess I have the " I want" to know about Hawk saws.  

Honest opinions please:

https://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/d/richland-rbi-hawk-scroll-saw/7688773614.html

Well, it's just like the one I bought and sold only because it was too big. I see the two small holes on the upper are so it uses the latest clamps. It has the front tension release. Without looking under it to see what motor it has, I don't think it has the Fasco motor that was the one that had some problems. Not sure how many but they got a bad reputation from somewhere. The other thing to look at is at the rear of the saw where the V-groove is and the small V cam fits into the notch. It appears to be a great saw. I bought mine, with 20 hours on it, for $250 but I live in an area where used stuff is abundant. I could never give the asking price for anything unless I really wanted it and just HAD to have it. If you REALLY want it, offer $400 and see what happens. Me, I'd probably start at around $300, but that's just me. Check it out. It appears to be a nice saw. Also, be sure to get as much of the stuff that came with it as possible. The manual, and all the blade clamps and anything else that comes to mind. It seems like some or most of these saws came with a foot switch and some had mag/lights.

After taking another look at it, the little V-cam and V-notch look really good and sharp.

Edited by OCtoolguy

24 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

" I want" to know about Hawk saws.  

Honest opinions please:

https://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/d/richland-rbi-hawk-scroll-saw/7688773614.html

To bad you wasn't closer to me.. I could provide wood, patterns and blades and you could make some of my orders while trying a Hawk.. don't like the Hawk you could also use my Hegner.. 🤣

The saw does look to be in nice shape. I think it looks like one of the better Ultra models so it should have the decent clamps. Not really a lot to look for on these saws really.. The wedge shaped thing on the tension mechanism at the back of the saw.. with no tension on the blade this should be able to lift it up and look at the pointed edge of it where it rides on the upper arm.. should be a pretty sharp point on it and not all rounded over.. If it is rounded it can be just sanded on a flat surface.. from what I can tell in the photo of it.. it looks pretty decent but just something to look at.. not too expensive to replace. 

The other thing is when you tension the blade the front lever should "lock down" against the arm and when you let go of it or when running the saw it should stay locked down.. IF it pops up some it could be a worn tension cam.. can be replaced easily but it's something to look for.. it could also just be out of adjustment.. seller doesn't need to know that though and could be a bargaining point for a lower price..😂

Another bargaining point could be if it only comes with one lower clamp.. The lamp comes out of the saw for blade changes just like the Hegner. If you look at the photo you will see two holes in the accessory arm.. that it where you place the round pin of the blade clamp to hold it to loosen the thumb screw so you can remove the blade or to tighten it down. The clamp will have a notch in it where it'll go unto the top of the accessory arm with the round pin in the hole.. 

The lower arm will have to slots for the blade holder to fit into.. the front slot is for a less aggressive cut or cutting thin stock. The farther back slot is for cutting thicker stock or a more aggressive cut.  

My opinion...  get it.  

This picture looks a bit better than the used one I picked up a few years ago 2020. I paid $400. I am the 3rd owner.  I have had no issues with this saw at all. My table has some deep scratches from other metal propably being dropped. 

The one your looking at the boot to blow air looks really black maybe it has been replaced or just cleaned. It also has the lockline already installed mine did not.

Definitely ask for all parts.  The bottom clamps cost $25. I bought spares the year. 

Me.

Mark Eason

Dang.. you see all this.. that is why I like the Hegner... so little has changed, it is easy to look at and know what is good and what is bad.. Not a bunch of upgrades to fix something.  Hawks so many upgrades over the years and the motor thing, scares me.  I am very shy about them.  I know the correct ones are an awesome saw,  but so many things to check out.  I never worried on the Excalibur type saws, because the two I have owned I bought new. And having quite a lot of experience with them I know what I would look for on a used one. Thanks for your input. 

Paul, there is nothing to be afraid of. That saw looks like it has been taken care of and used gently. If you want a Hawk, go buy it. I'm waiting for the right deal to come along on a 20 inch. When it does, it'll be mine and one of the Ex's will find a new home. At that point, I will own the 3 best saws made.

27 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Dang.. you see all this.. that is why I like the Hegner... so little has changed, it is easy to look at and know what is good and what is bad.. Not a bunch of upgrades to fix something.  Hawks so many upgrades over the years and the motor thing, scares me.  I am very shy about them.  I know the correct ones are an awesome saw,  but so many things to check out.  I never worried on the Excalibur type saws, because the two I have owned I bought new. And having quite a lot of experience with them I know what I would look for on a used one. Thanks for your input. 

You could call Bushton with the serial number and they would tell you what motor it came with.. I do not know for sure but I think the problem motors were only on the older saws with the round barrel clamps.. My old 220VS had the problem motor however I gave 100 for the saw and figured if it made 100 in sellable product I'd break even + gain the knowledge I desired to know about Hawk saws, LOL.. The saw never gave me a problem while I had it and pretty sure the person ( member here ) that bought it is still using it. Like Ray said, try to offer less and see what happens. If you can get it for less then if you don't like it you should be able to recoup your money easier.. Depends on how fast the seller wants to move it and if they know the saw or not.. In all the saws I've bought.. the seller was just wanting to clean house after a parent either went to assisted living or passed on.. so bargaining was pretty easy to do.. since they knew nothing about the saws.. That's how I got the Hegner for free.. the guy didn't know it was missing the blade clamps.. he knew he had them as his dad used the saw.. be he didn't even now what they looked like and he had already threw a big dumper full of stuff out.. he said if I didn't take it he was putting it in the new dumpster they just dropped off.. I couldn't let that happen.. Lucky for me I had blade clamps from another estate sale that I bought a box of blade and in the bottom was a bunch of Hegner clamps and springs misc parts. LOL

Anyway give Bushton a call with the serial number.. they'll tell you the year of the saw and if they have any service records on it etc. 

I don't know what these sell for in your area but $450 is a okay deal near me.. $350 or less would be ideal in my area and would get my attention, LOL.. but I don't think $450 is bad price as it is.. just better the lower you can get it for. I see them in my area price range from $400 - 650 for that same condition saw.. so 450 is okay.. less is better

49 minutes ago, Norm Fengstad said:

blade tensioning appears  to be from the back. I would find that annoying.

There is a tension quick release up front.(hard to see in the picture) The only time you use the rear is when going from a very small blade to a larger one. The rest of the time you do not need to touch the back cam. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about going to look at the saw.  It is now down to $350.  The serial number is 17132.  Can anyone tell if it is one you can top and/or bottom feed with it?  I would like to get one you can change the slant on the blade with.  I just think that would be a good option, because I cut a lot of both thick and thin wood.  3D cutting and 1/8" stuff.  Not the deal @MarieC got, darn her.  But maybe not a bad deal.

Bottom feed only on this one Paul.. The lower arm ends behind the angle adjustment block so to access the lower blade holder you have to reach around behind that angle adjustment mechanism.. some folks don't like that.. I've never had any issue with it once you learn it it's fine.. The nice thing is all the sawdust rest on top of the saws base instead of in your lap like the newer saws like Marie got, LOL. There is two positions for the blade holder to fit into on the lower arm. Front positions is for a less aggressive cut or for thin material and the back position is for a more aggressive cut or thicker material.. I've always used mine in the front position on my Hawk ultra which is what this saw is..  

Paul, it looks like a nice saw.  I did see a Hegner 18 inch up in Colville but I think he wants $500.  There is one in Kalispell for $250

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/853594876432507/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

But not sure if you wanted another like that.  If you could get to Spokane, you could stay with us and I would be happy to go with you to Kalispell.

1 hour ago, MarieC said:

Paul, it looks like a nice saw.  I did see a Hegner 18 inch up in Colville but I think he wants $500.  There is one in Kalispell for $250

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/853594876432507/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

But not sure if you wanted another like that.  If you could get to Spokane, you could stay with us and I would be happy to go with you to Kalispell.

At that price, I'd be buying the Hegner just to buy it! It will always be worth more than that. It even has the front tension release. 

Don't really need another saw, but I am working on a picture that I am using several different sizes of blades and straight and spiral blades.  I keep wishing I had a second saw to work with.  But I sure do not need it, just got the "I wants" hope I have enough will power  to have the "I will nots"!

Yeah those "I wants" vrs. "I need" gets all of us at times.. I really didn't need the Excalibur when I got it.. was just a good buy and I guess I had money burning a hole in my pocket.. same goes for the other couple of Hawks I have.. But I did end up loving to use the Hawks.. Before all these fancy saws I was running a DeWalt and a couple older Delta saws.. but I kept reading how nice the Hawk and Hegner saws as well as the EX saws were so " I had to scope them out and find the right deal"  which I did.. and glad I did so too.. without the burning desire to try all the different saws I would still be wondering what is so special about these saws.. 

I think back to all the saws I've bought and tried.. aside from the harbor freight,  WEN, Eclipse, scrollmate / pswoods, and I'm sure I'm missing some saws I've used or owned.

Most all the more modern types and brands I've owned or used.. Yeah I've never used a Pegas or King but they still fall in that same category as my EX and really not much if any difference in sawing experience. I would like to sell off my EX21 and buy a new Pegas or the 18" Jet.. The Jet has a clamping system that I would like to try.. and the saw is cheaper than any of the other styles of these saws.. If I don't like the clamping system I can always buy the Pegas chucks for it and have a new EX type saw.. The other thing I like about the Jet.. You can buy just the bearings or sleeves separately through ereplacementparts.. all the others want to sell you the whole link arm assemblies.. when there is only one or two bad bearings or sleeves. They are likely probably the same parts as the Pegas or other like saws.. but I don't know that.. YET.. LOL

Anyway after all this long winded post, I always go back to my new BM series Hawk.. I also seem to like the Hegner but I still need to make up a dust collection system or at a minimum get the flexible line so the bellows blower doesn't blow the dust at me and into my shirt and lap. LOL