First scrolled boxes

Stretch

You are more critical than me.  I think they look great.  I made two round one like yours for my wife and her sewing friend, to store pins in.  Only thing I did different was pit little magnets on the top of the side and the lid to hold the lid closed while they were not using it.  Otherwise they may have been picking up pins all the time.  

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

You are more critical than me.  I think they look great.  I made two round one like yours for my wife and her sewing friend, to store pins in.  Only thing I did different was pit little magnets on the top of the side and the lid to hold the lid closed while they were not using it.  Otherwise they may have been picking up pins all the time.  

Thanks, I was planning on  giving the fish box to a friend who is battling cancer. I wasn't sure it was nice enough.

All look great, very nicely done!

The only thing i would do differently is the fish box.  Instead of  the box over box cover, I  would have just made a lid keeper (1/4 inch thick) attached to the bottom side of the top. And, maybe, the bottom could have been inset so the edge does not show.  The lid keeper and inset bottom could be stack cut as they would be the same.  Just a little edge sanding on the lid keeper would let it drop in easily.

No criticism, just suggestions as you requested.

Edited by FrankEV

1 hour ago, FrankEV said:

All look great, very nicely done!

The only thing i would do differently is the fish box.  Instead of  the box over box cover, I  would have justmade a lid keeper (1/4 inch thick) attached to the bottom side of the top. An d, maybe, the bottom could have been inset so the edge does not show.  The lid keeper and inset bottom could be stack cut as they would be the same.  Just a little edge sanding on the lid keeper would let it drop in easily.

No criticism, just suggestions as you requested.

Thanks, Frank,

Great idea, I appreciate the time you took to make the suggestion. Would the glue would be enough to fill the gap of the cut line for the bottom if it was stack cut?

Brian

Nice work.  As for the features you dislike, consider all of them to be good learning opportunities.  In most projects, you will find aspects you like and dislike.  The cool thing is you can choose to modify any, if not all, of these features to be more to your liking.  Next time you make something, don't worry too much about following the pattern and instructions to the letter.  Consider the lessons you learned with these projects and apply them where appropriate to the next one.  Often just choosing different materials makes all the difference.  

On 1/10/2024 at 12:50 PM, Bill WIlson said:

Nice work.  As for the features you dislike, consider all of them to be good learning opportunities.  In most projects, you will find aspects you like and dislike.  The cool thing is you can choose to modify any, if not all, of these features to be more to your liking.  Next time you make something, don't worry too much about following the pattern and instructions to the letter.  Consider the lessons you learned with these projects and apply them where appropriate to the next one.  Often just choosing different materials makes all the difference.  

Thanks, Bill,

I am not upset about the things I didn't like, it's all part of learning as you point out.  I got some great tips by mentioning them. Being relatively new at this I can't always foresee what the end product will look like.

I learned a lot on these projects,  one thing I didn't mention was the "trickiness" of scrolling thin Oak. I found the pronounced grain made it challenging, constantly changing resistance.

It's a great hobby so happy I gave it a try again. I tried it in my thirties with a lousy scrollsaw, I had less patience then and it was very frustrating. Fast-forward 30 years and I have some patience and a decent tool; made a huge difference. 🙂

It is a very underrated tool! 

Once again thanks for the input!

Brian