New Harbor Freight Flex Shaft Sander

On 1/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I will never buy any tool with a motor from HF. I do not trust the things they put out. They are cheap for a reason. Yes this so called new line is suppose to be a step up but says WHO?  Step up from what. You can have it  Wish you the best of luck. 

Edited by OCtoolguy

3 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

OCToolguy, I think that you are being too critical calling someone sour.  I have bought a couple HF tools and thrown them out.  One was a die grinder that overheated in a couple minutes. Another was a corded drill that did the same.

I will never

Edited by OCtoolguy

8 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Ray I did not get to see your reply to my reply which I guess you did not approve. Approve or not it is just my thoughts. I ask you why do you think that HF started making Hercules and Bauer tools. The reason is because they had so many complaints and returns for the junk they were selling before. if the tool fits your $$$ value and needs by all means buy it. But when I buy a tool that has a motor on it I want one that is reliable and brand name. yes they all have lemons but I feel better. Too late in my lifetime to worry about $$$$. That is just me. You noticed I never said in this thread or anywhere on this forum to not buy HF tools. I buy lots of things from them that are not powered. Again I stress this that is ME.  

Posted (edited)

15+ years ago I would have to agree with what Larry and JT are saying.. and many folks years ago got burned on the money they spent on the crap tools they sold back then and will never buy from a company again because of that.. so I do understand where they're coming from. 

Not all of us are rich enough to go buy a $300 DeWalt or Milwaukee sawzall for a 1-10 times of use.. example.. I need to cut a hole in my roof to install a vent.. I don't have any saw to do that job.. do I spend $300+ or - just to do this job or do I go to HF and buy the $40 tool? Likely will not use it much at all after this particular job but if I need to and it still works then that's a bonus I suppose. The other option is to pay a contractor $500 or so for doing the job for me.. Years ago I would have not considered HF for the tool but they have improved the quality quite a lot.. and they are very good at honoring the warranty if it's needed. I broke a 18" breaker bar, I snapped the pin that holds the end onto the bar. Guess adding a 4ft pipe to it wouldn't hold up.. also bent the handle quite bad. They exchanged it too with no questions asked and it was probably over a year old.. Sears wouldn't do that for me 10 years ago with their Craftsman one.. At one time they used to be good on exchanges like this but they got pretty peddy in the more recent years.. I'd buy HF "Pittsburgh" brand tools way before I'd consider Craftsman now days. Craftsman built up a great name years ago but then cheapened up trying to make cuts for more profits.. HF started out cheap but over the years have gotten better.. A lot of contractors and ditching DeWalt stuff from what I've heard locally because DW is kind of doing that now... Just how companies do to try to survive I guess.. 

So that All said I can understand why some feel the way they do about HF tools.. I can also relate to buying a cheap tool just to do a job yourself and save a few bucks too. Most tools I buy from them are just low expectation use tools for a particular job I'm working on.. If I intend to use a tool a large amount then I do look more towards a well known brand quality tool.. but also got to watch it with some of those too as most of them are cheapening things up.   

Edited by kmmcrafts

15 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

15+ years ago I would have to agree with what Larry and JT are saying.. and many folks years ago got burned on the money they spent on the crap tools they sold back then and will never buy from a company again because of that.. so I do understand where they're coming from. 

Not all of us are rich enough to go buy a $300 DeWalt or Milwaukee sawzall for a 1-10 times of use.. example.. I need to cut a hole in my roof to install a vent.. I don't have any saw to do that job.. do I spend $300+ or - just to do this job or do I go to HF and buy the $40 tool? Likely will not use it much at all after this particular job but if I need to and it still works then that's a bonus I suppose. The other option is to pay a contractor $500 or so for doing the job for me.. Years ago I would have not considered HF for the tool but they have improved the quality quite a lot.. and they are very good at honoring the warranty if it's needed. I broke a 18" breaker bar, I snapped the pin that holds the end onto the bar. Guess adding a 4ft pipe to it wouldn't hold up.. also bent the handle quite bad. They exchanged it too with no questions asked and it was probably over a year old.. Sears wouldn't do that for me 10 years ago with their Craftsman one.. At one time they used to be good on exchanges like this but they got pretty peddy in the more recent years.. I'd buy HF "Pittsburgh" brand tools way before I'd consider Craftsman now days. Craftsman built up a great name years ago but then cheapened up trying to make cuts for more profits.. HF started out cheap but over the years have gotten better.. A lot of contractors and ditching DeWalt stuff from what I've heard locally because DW is kind of doing that now... Just how companies do to try to survive I guess.. 

So that All said I can understand why some feel the way they do about HF tools.. I can also relate to buying a cheap tool just to do a job yourself and save a few bucks too. Most tools I buy from them are just low expectation use tools for a particular job I'm working on.. If I intend to use a tool a large amount then I do look more towards a well known brand quality tool.. but also got to watch it with some of those too as most of them are cheapening things up.   

I deleted my remarks and am out of this conversation. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I have been having good luck with the Masterforce tools from Menards. They seem to be a step up from Harbor Freight and about the same price. I bought a cordless drill driver set on Black Friday 7years ago and it’s still going strong and I use it a lot. Just bought a RO sander to replace a 2 year old Craftsman that shot craps. The dust collector on it is like a mini cyclone so far it’s working good very little dust in the air while sanding.