Where it started

Hawk

I was cleaning and organizing the shop, came across a tote marked "scroll". Opened it and there was but a few items in there. One of them, the very first scroll project I did, I think it was 7th grade shop class, 1973. I would have been 13 years old (ugh).

The project is pretty basic, I tried to use an extremely dull chisel for the state outlines but it didn't go so well.  The teacher had me use a dremel like rotary fir the rest.

Anyhow,  after that project I didn't return to the scroll saw until about 1990. I was pleased to see how much I've progressed over the years.

So...where did everyone get their start and do you still have that "first" project?

Chris

20240131_101445.jpg

Looks good, the line chip outs give it character. 

My first scroll saw was with a coping or fret saw as a kid so many years ago. Then im mid 1990s I took a Intarsia class that prompted me to purchase a Dremel scroll saw. That saw was not the most user friendly tool  as I later learned. That saying it led me to various resource magazines and onto this blog site and the advice Steve Good had to offer

My first scroll saw was a gift from my lovely wife back in 2001. (I blame her for the addiction.) never knew what the saw was used for so I searched on line. I made a pattern from a photo of my son and cut it from 3/4" plywood. Ugh! Used cheap blades but I guess it came out well enough. 

Matthew.thumb.jpg.7f1836f49285507a4d3708ff016c8ff2.jpg