Inkspace

Hi all, 

All right I know there’s another Forum for software, but I need some help urgently please. I am currently doing Travis’s Inkspace course and am busy with Lesson 3 where you have to do a design of the American Flag. Now I’ve done the stripes, the top right hand side Blue block (that holds the stars) but now the wheels come off, I try to align and distribute the stars and it does not work, tried  a previous version, did not work downloaded the latest version 1.3.2 and it does not work. The software is running on a iMac with windows 10 installed, I must say Gimp works fine, so I can only assume that maybe there’s a switch in preferences that needs to be set, I don’t know I am technically challenged when it comes to software, so any help would be appreciated.

Since my post I have seen a post from Inkspace that they recommend users with Windows 10 and above not to download from their site but rather download from the Windows Shop site which I have done.

I’m running a legal purchase of Windows 10 and Office 365, so zI don’t know where the problem lies. I hope the f attached file works.

Test.svg

For some reason the stars are grouped together with 2 gray boxes and a red one.

If ungroup 3 times (ctrl-shift-g) you will end up with all the stars as individual objects.  

Delete theboxes and you can lasso the 7 at the top and centre align and the distribute with equal horizontal.  Continue as per Travis's video.

I hope that makes sense.

Any more questions let me know.

Test rev.svg

13 minutes ago, don in brooklin on said:

For some reason the stars are grouped together with 2 gray boxes and a red one.

If ungroup 3 times (ctrl-shift-g) you will end up with all the stars as individual objects.  

Delete theboxes and you can lasso the 7 at the top and centre align and the distribute with equal horizontal.  Continue as per Travis's video.

I hope that makes sense.

Any more questions let me know.

Test rev.svg 21.62 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you will try that.

16 hours ago, Insane Dust Maker said:

Thank you will try that.

So after a lot of fiddling I think I got it right, I still can’t get the align & distribute to work correctly, so I had to align them manually using the rulers which is not ideal. I really don’t know where the problem lies, I’m at wits end because something that should not have me more than a hour has take me 1/12 days. Adding to my frustration we have load shedding and are without power for 11.5 hours a day. So when do have power it’s a big scramble to get batteries charged and do things that you need to do when you do have power.

So I have attached my attempt it may not be perfect but at least I got it done and I happy with the result despite all the software problems.

Thank you so much for your help, I have to now try and resolve the software issue before I can carry on with the course.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 12.05.14.png

48 minutes ago, don in brooklin on said:

Looks good but it should be easy to align and distribute.

There are lots of videos on this from years ago.

Here is one https://youtu.be/MNgjZDkQW1w?si=kddiK7YOSBolxtHy

If still not working I would report to Inkscape.  They have a forum and a bug report.

I have reported to Inkspace, I noticed on their page that they are experiencing a few problems with the version 1.3.1 and the alignment issue was mention.

Thank you for your assistance, it’s truly appreciated.

14 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Try going back to an older version. I keep a copy of the version that Travis uses in his tutorial series as well as the most current version. Sometimes it just works better than the newer version. 

I tried that but being a old f..t I get confused when option bar is now on the right when I was used being on the top just under the toolbar.