RBI bm26 review

It is a day I never thought would happen but after 32 years I am retiring my old RBI vs26 and purchased a new saw. It was having a few random motor problems and I really wanted the chair legs as I have had a recent neck surgery which makes the new height much more comfortable. I have only ran RBI saws over the years so I can only compare the old to the new as I have never ran a different brand of saw. I will start by saying when I made my first cut with the new saw I felt like a newbie as it does have a different feel to it. Things I liked are it was packed incredibly well, love the chair height legs which by the way included the adjustable height legs. I believe the rear tension adjustment is superior on the new saw but having said that the one on my old saw never gave any trouble. My old saw kind of hammers anymore but the smoothness of both saws is about the same. I know most people will not agree with me on this but I actually prefer the old barrel style blade holder as opposed to the new style but will probably get used to it. Small things I will mention the bolt holes on the front plate for the leg set did not all align and about 4 of them had to be slightly drilled to line up , it came with 16 bolts for leg set, it needs 26 , not a big deal just wanted to mention it. Lord’s Prayer is last project I did with old saw , it holds a special place in my heart as I started that project when I received a cancer diagnosis 4 months ago and finished it recently after my surgery which removed the cancer. Not sure what I am doing with old saw but not sure I can part with it.IMG_1071.thumb.jpeg.4a2a55268386c33b9fad6721d5cb4b97.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

Congrats on the new saw!! My first Hawk ( not my first scroll saw ) was a round barrel clamp style saw.. They take a bit to get the hang of them but I also really liked that saw.. Kinda wish I had not sold it.. But I still have the Hawk Ultra 226VS and the new BM26 I bought a few years ago. I mainly use the new saw but the other saws have a place and somewhat special use in my shop.. sometimes I get tired of cutting with the Hawks and will switch things up and use the Excalibur or Hegner.. both have a slight different style of cutting..

Like the wide legs but I bet that takes up as much room as two saws do, LOL.. That is one thing about these 26" saws.. they are massive and weigh well over 100 pounds too..

Beautiful work on that Lord's Prayer.. hope you show some more of your projects you do with the new saw. 

Thanks , i am actually a retired farmer so my woodshop is actually in a corner of a  pole barn so i am fortunate to have enough space for a saw with the chair legs . i just retired in September so i still have some farm equipment in building and will probably stay that way to maintain things on farm. Maybe at some point i can post pictures of my shop.

Wayne, beautiful job on the Lord's Prayer.  That looks like a challenging scroll saw project.

Congratulations on the new saw.  I am sure you will learn to love it as much as you do the old one.

Best wishes for you in dealing with cancer and neck surgery.  Know that you are not alone in either of those.  

1 hour ago, TAIrving said:

Wayne, beautiful job on the Lord's Prayer.  That looks like a challenging scroll saw project.

Congratulations on the new saw.  I am sure you will learn to love it as much as you do the old one.

Best wishes for you in dealing with cancer and neck surgery.  Know that you are not alone in either of those.  

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. One thing i have been thinking about is when  i do a craft show this fall is making a Christmas ornament that i can give away  to cancer patients .  i dont know exactly what that would look like but i would like to be a encouragement

33 minutes ago, wagner1958 said:

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. One thing i have been thinking about is when  i do a craft show this fall is making a Christmas ornament that i can give away  to cancer patients .  i dont know exactly what that would look like but i would like to be a encouragement

Can't remember where I got the pattern for this.. but this is one that I made several years ago. Might be here in the pattern section.. if not I'm sure one of the designers here would make a pattern.

Cancer.png

1 hour ago, Denny Knappen said:

Congrats on the new saw.  I heard that with the new Hawk, you can both top and bottom feed.  Is this correct?

that is correct, i have tried top feeding since getting the saw but so far it is a skill i need more practice at. i can see on a large project where it is hard to see underneath top feeding would be a real advantage