Not A Big Fan Of Veining...

jimmyG

Very well cut and certainly nothing wrong with that veining.  Something you might try sometime on a practice piece.  When I do veining, I first cut with a small size straight blade, then I go back over the cut with as small spiral blade to widen the kerf some. The spiral will follow the first cut, and you can sorta  file some of the wavers out with thee spiral blade. 

Edited by Scrappile

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I have the same results I think part of it is the poor quality of the BB we get now days. Did you sand it before you cut the piece.  That helps some, I find.  

Sanded it to 220 then a quick once over with 400.  The pain was sliding a skinny strip of 800 to clear the sawdust from all the veining before sealing and staining.

If your hanging it in your shop, a simple, narrow frame of contrasting wood would look nice. The veining looks great. As for staining, Minwax makes a pre-stain conditioner that seems to reduce the blotchiness. It helps but not perfect. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

If your hanging it in your shop, a simple, narrow frame of contrasting wood would look nice. The veining looks great. As for staining, Minwax makes a pre-stain conditioner that seems to reduce the blotchiness. It helps but not perfect. 

Yeah, it's just something to hang in the shop (if I can find an empty spot)  but worried it would bug me to see it on the wall the way the stain turned out.  I did use that pre-stain and followed the directions but it is what it is.   Thought about sanding it to remove some of the top layer but afraid I would sand too far into the next layer.