3 with epoxy resin

red river

Very nice Forrest!  I enjoy working with epoxy fill in my scroll saw projects and I understand the challenges of doing multiple colors in one piece. 

Regarding the pictures, it would be nice to be able to see the wood also.  You might be pushing the capabilities of your cell telephone camera in trying to capture the bright glow of the sun shining through the colored fills.  

I'm dipping my toe into using colored epoxy casting resin.  Picked up some at Michaels for a project I'm working on for my daughter.  It isn't a scroll saw project, but rather a simple bench.  I want to rout the letter D into the top and fill it with epoxy.  I've used 5 minute epoxy to fill small knot holes before, but never used epoxy for decorative effect.  

I made a test piece, because I had several questions regarding its use.  The project is made of red oak, which has a very open grain.  I was concerned that the dyed resin overflow would seep too deeply into the pores of the wood to be effectively removed by sanding the resin flush with the surface.  That proved to be less of a problem than I had imagined.  

Next question was would the area around the epoxy inset take stain similar to the rest of the surface or would there be a noticeable halo around where the stain couldn't penetrate as well, due to the overflow of the epoxy that I ended up sanding off.  That too proved not to be a problem.

My next step is to see if it will accept a topcoat.  After some internet searching, I've read mixed reviews of applying a polyurethane topcoat over epoxy.  Most said it worked fine.  Others said it didn't.  I'm going to apply a seal coat of shellac first, then a topcoat on my test piece to see how it goes. 

The biggest challenge I've had so far is controlling the overflow of the epoxy.  Once it flooded the banks of the routed inset, it kind of ran wild on me.  I over did it by pouring too much and once it started overflowing, trying to scrape it back into place and remove the excess just created more of a mess.  I definitely need a little practice with this part.  I'm going to try it on a 2nd test piece, but I've applied clear packing tape over the area of the inset.  I then routed the area and have applied a bead of hot glue around the perimeter to control any overflow and keep it from spreading too far.  I hope to test this in the next couple days.

For those of you who are more experienced with this process, do you have any tips & tricks to offer to a newbie?