A great idea

This reminds me of those collapsible baskets that was popular back in the 90's early 2000's.. I have a boatload of the patterns but only cut one of them just to try angle cutting on one of my saws back in the day.. and that was about the only time I done any angle cutting, LOL

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

This reminds me of those collapsible baskets that was popular back in the 90's early 2000's.. I have a boatload of the patterns but only cut one of them just to try angle cutting on one of my saws back in the day.. and that was about the only time I done any angle cutting, LOL

That was what caught my attention. Back in those days I did a ton of those collapsable baskets/trivets. They were a huge seller and all the rage. That was the start of the Berry Basket. They incorporated that cutting on an angle for a ton of their patterns. Again that was how they expanded their line. The concept of the collapsible basket then turned into other useful patterns using the same footprints. They could be made into mirrors and picture frames and stained glass  photos. They were the basis of my business just using their patterns and expanding. That was the beginning of JT'S Creative Woodworking. And grew from there. 

Examples of angle cutting. By the way the only screws or nails used in all 3 projects is to hold the bottom of the magazine rack on. Try that. All my shelves I made over the years were held up with keyholes. A router and many jigs make the holes. 3/4" thick red oak had some heft. Shelves were then able to sit flat against the wall and no fasteners noticed. Clean look. 

656Candy_Bowel-med.jpg

656Heart_Magazine_Rack.jpg

IMGP0278.JPG

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

16 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/3656385241241166

here is a great idea that could easily be made into a scrollsaw pattern and many patterns. pretty cool. 

The problem that I run into is the size of material needed. I've rejected many patterns that exceed 8" in width. That one looks to be about 10". Maybe more. Special milling required. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

The problem that I run into is the size of material needed. I've rejected many patterns that exceed 8" in width. That one looks to be about 10". Maybe more. Special milling required. 

Easy to get 12" wide boards. Base you could glue 2 boards together. That would be so simple of a pattern. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

10 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Easy to get 12" wide boards. Base you could glue 2 boards together. That would be so simple of a pattern. 

I think that probably depends upon where you live.. Even with a really good lumber store near me.. 12" wide boards become either scarce or expensive and if one doesn't have the means to mill their own it's not so easy as you might think. My local supplier will custom do anything you want if you want to "pay" they'll glue up for you and mill to whatever size you like.. 

I have my own milling equipment but I still remember the days very well where I had to either have something custom made / cut for me or skip over the projects altogether.. So maybe easy where you are but that's not the case for everyone.

9 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I think that probably depends upon where you live.. Even with a really good lumber store near me.. 12" wide boards become either scarce or expensive and if one doesn't have the means to mill their own it's not so easy as you might think. My local supplier will custom do anything you want if you want to "pay" they'll glue up for you and mill to whatever size you like.. 

I have my own milling equipment but I still remember the days very well where I had to either have something custom made / cut for me or skip over the projects altogether.. So maybe easy where you are but that's not the case for everyone.

Move to NJ we have many lumber mills that you can buy 12" boards. I am just saying this would make a easy project for pattern makers to design. It would look cool. Glue boards together or buy some tools is all I can say. Having to buy woods milled already has to be a pain. and expensive. Glad I have an entire woodworking shop. What do they say, where there is a will there is a way. Life throws many obstacles at us each and everyday.