Hello, Beginner here!

Cassie W.

Welcome, Cassie,   glad to have you joing the village.  This is a starting place right here on this forum:  https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles/beginner/

There a many good saws to choose from.  Do you have a budget?  Sometimes there are good deals on used ones to be found on Facebook Marker or Cragslist, but please ask here with the address of the listing before buying used or maybe any saw.  Lots of experience here to suck info from.  ALso search around for maybe a club near you.

Edited by Scrappile

Welcome to the Village from North Carolina. You'll find many various comments on the "best" saw. That will be reflected by each individual. I started with a $100 WEN that was very limited on features. After a year I purchased the 30-inch Pegas and discovered a whole new world of scroll sawing. When considering my purchase, I also looked strongly at the Seyco. The Seyco is an excellent saw and as many members here, I hope to own one in the future (in addition to the Pegas). Don't hesitate to ask questions and once you get started, please share pictures of your work. It is inspiring to see.

Welcome from Eastern Washington State.  Yes, the saws already mentioned are great saws.   I bought both of mine used...And Excalibur 21 and a Hawk G426.  Both Great saws too.  If you do look at an EX, I would go for the older model not made in China as I have heard those have problems.  Again Welcome!

What does everyone think of this used saw? for $65. Ad says "Delta variable speed 16” scroll works great extra blades included"... I have already asked if it takes both pinned and straight blades. How old it is and if there are any other issues I should know about. Waiting on his response. I looked at his profile and he seems like a decent person and also a craftsman with a decent looking shop. What do you guys think? Anything else I should ask him?

scroll saw.jpg

On 4/17/2024 at 10:42 AM, Cassie W. said:

I am an artist and sign maker. Looking to learn how how to use a scroll saw. Need advice on best saw to buy.  Are there any classes available near me? I live in Cumming Ga. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Cassie W. said:

What does everyone think of this used saw? for $65. Ad says "Delta variable speed 16” scroll works great extra blades included"... I have already asked if it takes both pinned and straight blades. How old it is and if there are any other issues I should know about. Waiting on his response. I looked at his profile and he seems like a decent person and also a craftsman with a decent looking shop. What do you guys think? Anything else I should ask him?

scroll saw.jpg

i think it looks great! my scroll saw is a 16'' wen scroll saw for 100$ and it works just as well as any scroll saw have fun! maybe ask him if it's had any issues over the years. delta is a good brand. I'm still a beginner to so it just matters if it can cut with no issues  

Edited by Me and my buddy