Hawk scrollsaw

Gotta say I'm really on the fence with this, back in the day when I was still fairly new this was the saw I REALLY wanted, but life prevented me from getting it. But now my Delta P-20 set the bar pretty high, and this one is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years old......What to do?

I bought this in 2020 for $400.  It has a lower serial number.  It even has half the power.  No problem with anything.  

OCtoolguy said to look at the tension lever area to see if was still pointed.   It was not used much. 

Wow that was 4 years ago.

Hah... You can see my dust collection system in that picture.  No noisy vacuum. I put a funnel in the already existing hole in the chassis.  The funnel goes into the can. 

20240503_163132.jpg

Edited by preprius

The huge difference between the two saws that I see is parts availability. The P20 parts will become scarce at some point but the Hawk will never have that problem in your lifetime. I'd buy it and put the P20 aside for a back up saw. I bought a 226 Ultra but it was way too big for my shop. If it had been a saw like the one you are looking at, I'd probably still have it.

2 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

The huge difference between the two saws that I see is parts availability. The P20 parts will become scarce at some point but the Hawk will never have that problem in your lifetime. I'd buy it and put the P20 aside for a back up saw. I bought a 226 Ultra but it was way too big for my shop. If it had been a saw like the one you are looking at, I'd probably still have it.

While looking deeper into it, I thought it looked like the tension level was in the back of the saw, was that correct? And I'm guessing they are pretty much vibration free?

18 minutes ago, Hawk said:

While looking deeper into it, I thought it looked like the tension level was in the back of the saw, was that correct? And I'm guessing they are pretty much vibration free?

A very smooth running saw. The only wear point to be aware of is the aluminum wedge at the rear of the saw's upper arm. It rides in a vee groove and should be pretty sharp. Not rounded over. See if they will send pics of that area.

8 hours ago, Hawk said:

Tension lever is at the front circled in the picture. The part at the back is to adjust how much tension is applied.. The back part of the saw under that tension adjuster back there will be a wedge shape piece..That wedge is supposed to be very pointed and almost sharp.. That would be one of the telltale signs of how much use it's had. The wedge over time will sort of get a more rounded edge on it and be a indication if it's rounded over it may have been used more than you might think. But new wedge is are available for like $15 I think.. and you can even just put it on a flat surface and sand each side until it is pointed again.

The front tension lever is another wear point. It has a tension cam underneath the arm or inside the arm that can wear out but again.. those two parts are still used today on the newest saw made and readily available and not too pricey. Anything else that wears on these saws is pretty much available at any hardware store.. That's why I love these saws. 

I've rebuilt my Excalibur when it had around 250 hours on it.. at just over 500 hours on it now it is getting loose again.. My Hawk has around 500 hours on it and nothing has been done.. even the wedge is still pointed.. this is how well built they are.. LOL

Some people have issues with the clamping systems on some of these saws as they are more picky with clamping and tension etc.. so keep that in mind.. Some pick right up on it while others struggle and give up.. If you can get the hang of that without much trouble this saw would out last you and any grandchildren too, LOL

They run really quite smooth however you should be aware that they do have a couple harmonic balance spots on the speed dial that they get a little shaky but turn the dial up or down a smig and they're smooth..

You can call Bushton Manufacturing with the serial number and they can give you a lot of info on it such as what year etc.. any records of it being in for a rebuild or service.. 

From what I can see of the saw it's not been used much I don't think.. I seen the thing pop up on Marketplace.. if it were closer to southern MI I might have checked it out.. I have two 26 inch saws but wouldn't mind selling off one of them and getting the smaller 20" like this one.. They take up a large area as the stand is part of the saw so they're big and heavy.  

Well, after doing some more research and thanks to @kmmcrafts and @OCtoolguy along with the Bushton web site I've learned quite a bit about the saws. Rather impressive. So I going to go check it out within the next couple of days and if everything looks as good as it does in the pics, and it runs good it will be coming home with me!

Chris