Trouble with Chess pieces

papabrett2011

I am currently working on a chess set for my son, the wood I'm working with is Spalted Maple for one side, not sure yet for the other side. I gotten 6 pieces done so far, but the cutting is hard and slow. Figure part of my problem might be the blades I'm using, I'm getting ready to put an order in since I'm low anyway and I'm looking for suggestions. Currently I used my #7 Ultra Reverse from Flying Dutchman, I went to my local wood store to try out a skip tooth but they were out, so I tried the Olson #7 skip tooth, gave up with that in about 1/2". I can cut them, but have to put a bit of pressure to get through, have to be super careful since it makes it easy to get off of being vertical. Attached a photo of what I've done so far and the piece I just started. Any help or suggestions are much needed.

post-2233-0-53231500-1360431074_thumb.jpg

Edited by papabrett2011

as with any compound cut piece, they are going to be slow going. you are cutting thick material. Another aspect you may not be thinking of; you may think, "yeah, but I have cut 1.5 inch material before and it didn't seem this hard" (just guessing). typicly when cutting on material, you have a larger piece to hold onto and push thru the blade, but with the chess pieces, you are holding a much smaller piece of wood, thusfor using your finger to do the work that you are usually doing with your hands.

See what I am saying?

Small compound pieces are always a bit more difficult. Maple is a hard dense wood, it is going to be difficult to cut.

Stick with it, you will get it

• 8 months later...