tim elett 1 Posted September 13 Posted September 13 I would appreciate any tips on cutting little spaces on patterns, I would like to know more about cutting patterns for the clock patterns that Steve Good has on his pattern flash drive, some are 3/4 inch stock,thought I would practice with different sizes of blades,and speeds, any other advice, thanks. Quote
don in brooklin on Posted September 13 Posted September 13 Paraphrased from Steve Good... Most patterns call for 1/4" to 3/4" wood. I almost never select a blade based on the thickness of the wood. If I am cutting 1" wood but the pattern needs a small #3 blade then that is what I use. I may not be able to cut as fast with that smaller blade but that is not my concern. My concern is getting a quality cut with sharp corners and accuracy. If you are new then a small selection of blades is all you need to get started. A #3, #5, and a few #7's will get you well on your way. Honestly, it is possible that those are the only blades you will ever need. If you start cutting portrait-style patterns then you can pick up some spiral blades. If you cut very thick and dense wood, plastic, metal, or other specialty material then you can research the best blades for those projects. ========================================================================================================= Everyone has their favorite blade. I prefer Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse as they are not as aggressive as the Pegas MGT. It is a matter of getting used to a blade. I was cutting 3/4 pine yesterday and I had a FD-UR #1 in the scroll saw so I used it just fine. When I went to cut 1 1/8 I changed to a number 5. If you post a link to the pattern maybe someone give more help Quote
tim elett 1 Posted September 13 Author Posted September 13 Thanks, I restocked my blades #2 #3 and some #4 there are so meany choices, a beginner like me gets lost easily. I am working on the 6 inch clock pattern from Steve's flash drive. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.