New from Michigan

trailfndr

Hello everyone.  My name is Lee, and I am from just northwest of Detroit.  At age 55, I had not used a scrollsaw in probably 30 years or more.  Picked one up at a garage sale and made my first intarsia project with it while taking a class.  3-4 projects later, I purchased a new Porter Cable saw with Stand and it has made a huge difference in my abilities.

I am hoping to get a lot better, and become more professional with my work, by learning to correctly price my items for sale, and to make my own patterns.  I downloaded Inkscape, and am currently going thru the on-line videos to learn how to make scroll patterns. 

Anyways,  I am looing forward to learning from all of you master scrollers, and with luck, and lot of work, hope to one day be a part of your elite group.  here are a few samples of what I have done over the past several months.

post-10920-0-74674200-1365930120_thumb.jpgpost-10920-0-55151600-1365930151_thumb.jpgpost-10920-0-18138100-1365930168_thumb.jpg

welcome lee,you fit right in like a glove,you've got some outstanding work under your belt there.Please share your tips and tricks with us.what kind of saw s have you used  besides the porter.do you have a foot pedel on off switch ,sure makes a world of differance in creature comforts scrolling.Glad to have you joinand be sure to check out all the places you can in the village it's a blast being a member here.

welcome lee,you fit right in like a glove,you've got some outstanding work under your belt there.Please share your tips and tricks with us.what kind of saw s have you used  besides the porter.do you have a foot pedel on off switch ,sure makes a world of differance in creature comforts scrolling.Glad to have you joinand be sure to check out all the places you can in the village it's a blast being a member here.

Thanks to all of you for the nice welcome.  Tips and tricks is something I really don't have many of.  My layout consists of white contact paper directly on the wood, and then a printed pattern (cut into the different peices) applied with spray adhesive.  I then cover that with clear packing tape, beats the tar out of trying to trace patterns. 

The only saw I have used was the cheap Pin style (possibly an old Craftsman, with only one speed) and the new Porter Cable.  I am lucky to have a good eye for detail, and being somewhat of a perfectionist, makes me look at my work much morte critically that others would.  Currently I use the Porter, a Dremel, a benchtop belt sander and hand sanding to do everything.  Will be adding a Drill Press i the near future. and hopefully down the road a good drum sander.  I have found that blades make a HUGE difference in my work.  Currently using the Flying Dutchman brand an am very pleased with my results.  Pedal switch is also on my list, I can see where that would make a big difference.