New on the block

norman schafer

WOW! This is exciting. I'm Norman and my wife, LaVerna. We live in NW Washington about five miles from the Canadian border. I love to scroll and have made some nice projects. My first one was a Noah's Ark shadow box w/animals. Another that I'm proud of is a Lichterbogen Nativity scene by Arnold Volker.

I entered them in the NW Washington Fair last Fall and received two Blue Ribbons. Just recently I finished a Round roof Mail box, modeled after the barn my grand-pa built in 1929. It was before they had electricity and commercial concrete, no power saws. It's just awesome to think about. we are so blessed to have all these nice tools. My first fretsaw as we called it was hand powered. Now I have a nice Delta 18" Q3 a far cry from that hand driven fret saw, but I loved it too.

This is enough about me for now and I hope to make some new scrolling friends.

Scrolling Norman

Hi Norman. Welcome to the Village. We'd love to see some of your work. You can set up a User Gallery (you can find a [tut]tutorial here[/tut]). I really love Volker's designs. I haven't cut one yet, but I really like his Christmas Pyramids and Lichterbogens. I've talked to him a couple of times. Really nice guy. Also, congrats on the blue ribbons. I love going to the fair and seeing what others come up with. Sounds like the round roof mailbox might be a contender next round. ;) Anyway, we're glad to have you on board. Jump on in and have some fun.

• 1 year later...
WOW! This is exciting. I'm Norman and my wife, LaVerna. We live in NW Washington about five miles from the Canadian border. I love to scroll and have made some nice projects. My first one was a Noah's Ark shadow box w/animals. Another that I'm proud of is a Lichterbogen Nativity scene by Arnold Volker.

I entered them in the NW Washington Fair last Fall and received two Blue Ribbons. Just recently I finished a Round roof Mail box, modeled after the barn my grand-pa built in 1929. It was before they had electricity and commercial concrete, no power saws. It's just awesome to think about. we are so blessed to have all these nice tools. My first fretsaw as we called it was hand powered. Now I have a nice Delta 18" Q3 a far cry from that hand driven fret saw, but I loved it too.

This is enough about me for now and I hope to make some new scrolling friends.

Scrolling Norman

Can you tell me where I can buy this pattern

Malc

Happy 4th Norm and Laverna!I can't imagine scrolling without electricity!Now that you have the q3 the skys the limit as nothing to hold back your dreams of what you want to do.Deltas been a favorite of mine.Congadulations on the blue ribbons!I worked next to you in hood river oregon 1976 for dell monte.Man is the water cold up there right out of the faucet!Noah's ark looks very delicate,how big did you make yours.Your ideas are really cool ,a mail box of the barn you own.I've though of taking a snap shot of a home and make a wall hanger{scroll sawed} out of it with the words God bless our home on it.Can't wait to eyeball your work,does the better half scroll too,lol.There's so much to learn in the village i'm overwelmed,never a dull moment here.Welome my friend and enjoy our company,your in good hands here!