Dust Collection

Doug

Ray ! I would re-think the hoses in the drawer idea ,concept unless used as sealed trap(chip collector trap w/ cleaning access and un-restricted  airflow -no bends )could be a joint manifold Y configured ,for top and bottom joint  ,vac joint out the back for hook up! (for portability ,and containment .flex ,seems to be critical ,especially top end ,to allow for swing out of the way to completely clear table.Dust, chips & particals want to separate and coagulate in there movement thru ,unlike liquid w/ equal forces all around .and require easy removal & periodically to clean out ,I just disconnect one end of both saw ends seal end of one and back vac top and bottom pick-ups ,works slick take 30 secs. listening to the saw and the sight of any dust remaining tells me when it is time ! Having camera issues may have to take pic with phone ,so quality may not be best ! simplified lite and mag again so you may notice differences ,I used a simple parascope apparatus to adjust upper pickup adjustment  to keep table totally clean an unobstructed at all times ,whichs is why elevated upper arm configuration ,semi stationary and easily adjustable for stock height changes.Weight ,causing torque and pivot ease and wear as well as being keyed  to always return to same place each time is important ,as anyone one using a swing mag lite can tell you what a pain that is . Two bolt s remove complete arm assemble .I have too goals 1st! and most important It MUST work .2nd The K.I.S.S. Principle too much condenation lead to more problems than they a worth .to be user friendly ! Now ,I have to do some jockieing and moving to get things to make some decent pix . Later Carl !

post-22372-0-98735000-1423344708_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-41774200-1423344742_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-99884500-1423344840_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-41299300-1423344859_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-78396100-1423344874_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Carl. I'll be waiting on your pics when you have time and opportunity to post them.

Ray

Here you go RAY! I even posted a couple of the drill press ,big hole is for lrg.flex cable ,when I use in cabinet w/ larger drum or flutter wheel , Hope  between written and pix it makes sense ,slipped off hoses for better view in a couple ! 

Edited by Multifasited

Thanks again Carl. I'll be waiting on your pics when you have time and opportunity to post them.

Ray

Here you go RAY! I even posted a couple of the drill press ,big hole is for lrg.flex cable ,when I use in cabinet w/ larger drum or flutter wheel , Hope  between written and pix it makes sense ,slipped off hoses for better view in a couple ! 

post-22372-0-98735000-1423344708_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-41774200-1423344742_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-99884500-1423344840_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-41299300-1423344859_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-78396100-1423344874_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-47626200-1423345438_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-33081100-1423345454_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks Carl. You have outdone yourself. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I am still a bit in the fog over the drill press though. I can make out that it's a Rockwell but everything else is a blur. Can you give me any more info on it? It looks like it would be quite handy.

Ray

Ray there are two previous posts showing side view and instructions ,It' an old model 10 variable speed 3/8" ,its probably 20 +yrs old .maybe 30 ,newer chucks  I have checked do not close to zero so check ,pawns shops ,good will flea markets ,maybe ,I glued a tapered DIY mini flash lite holder aimed at the drill bit really helped  ,really wanted a laser ,for now lite works good ! Has 14 1/2 "clearance up up 1 1/4" thick stock ,throat . so you could drill to center up to 29"  love it , very handy rolls right up to my saw and cabinet or in the closet if I need the room! I can cut and drill without leaving my chair ,or roll my chair up to it .Yeah I am Lazy ! I worked real hard to be able to work easy now,when I need it ! I checked your profile ,your very Bashful ! Let me know what you end up doing ,for me it has been a long process of trail and error ,getting something that worked well and testing and modify. adjust ,and alter , to what you see today with out hampering the great saw or it's abilities ,been well worth the effort and minor expense .There have been over 1700 views of this dust collection post ,And over 4000 on other s on the subject, feed back and responses ,well you can see for your self ,Be nice to hear some feed back and see some more results !   

Edited by Multifasited

Thanks again Carl. I did try to find your prior posts but to no avail. I'll start putting mine together pretty soon. I found some great plans on one of the forums but I can't remember which one. I'm sure glad I downloaded them because I tried to find them again yesterday and can't seem to locate them. I'm going to dream up something for dust control but for now, the stand will be paramount.

Thanks again,

Ray

Thanks again Carl. I did try to find your prior posts but to no avail. I'll start putting mine together pretty soon. I found some great plans on one of the forums but I can't remember which one. I'm sure glad I downloaded them because I tried to find them again yesterday and can't seem to locate them. I'm going to dream up something for dust control but for now, the stand will be paramount.

Thanks again,

Ray Go to info exchange 3/20/2012  WWC,There is a post when I had it mounted on a larger table for a larger project and need extra table ,room for lay out ,used different riser as you can see ,had a little to much flex  for my liking after that project i swapped use to fret work and smaller table for this shop ! and simpler 2x8"step risers  other wise the same !

In forum section under mofify shop arrangement jan/5/2015 you can see a bunch better ! Hope this helps !

Btw I don't recall what saw your attempting to do this too ! I feel sure I could do this on any semi-modern saw with the same results . 

Edited by Multifasited

Carl, I have on old DW 788 type 1. Also, remember I am a newbie here. I don't know what you are referring to when you telll me to go to "info exchange WWC. What is that and where is it?

R

Sorry about that It's my other favorite scrollsaw forum  for Scroll Saw Woodworking  & Crafts Message Board ,when you there scroll down

post-22372-0-97014400-1423621891_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-63791900-1423621906_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-69191800-1423621933_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-28869900-1423621945_thumb.jpgInfo exchange go back three pages I think ,till you find that date ,that was the first version I made .

Hell Ray know ,I can't find it either ,I'll keep looking you will enjoy a wide variety looking a round there !

datec was wrong 2010 ,way back in the archieves

Edited by Multifasited

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of woods out there that are irritants and some that are down right dangerous.  Even carcinogenic.  There are tables and charts that can give pretty good indications as to which are which.  I guess when you get down to brass tacks anything getting into you respiratory system cant be good for you.  

For my dust collection system i got an old 1800w vacuum cleaner, and put it into a wooden box (with holes) for noise reduction.  I took the hose into the lid of a 60L grease drum.  On the inside of the lid i made a wire cage and sealed an old vacuum bag around it.  For the intake i used another vacuum tube at an angle into the upper side of the drum.  It honestly works like a charm.  All for the cost of the power to run it. 

Boring but effective!

Where did you get the large snap-lock tubing you used above the table and what size is it?

Bob

I got it at Seyco

http://www.seyco.com/category/saws.html

Go to the web page and scroll down to "#DVA-02 Adjustable Vacuum Attachment".  I took off the end and then adapted to PVC fittings.  I think it is 3/4 inch ID.

Edited by Doug

There are a lot of woods out there that are irritants and some that are down right dangerous.  Even carcinogenic.  There are tables and charts that can give pretty good indications as to which are which.  I guess when you get down to brass tacks anything getting into you respiratory system cant be good for you.  

For my dust collection system i got an old 1800w vacuum cleaner, and put it into a wooden box (with holes) for noise reduction.  I took the hose into the lid of a 60L grease drum.  On the inside of the lid i made a wire cage and sealed an old vacuum bag around it.  For the intake i used another vacuum tube at an angle into the upper side of the drum.  It honestly works like a charm.  All for the cost of the power to run it. 

Boring but effective!

This sounds interesting but I can't envision it in my head. Any possibility of posting a few pics of how you built it and what vac you used?

Ray

I am Glad to see some people starting to take the issue seriously ,and realizing the blower system is nothing more than a ATOMIZER for the ulta fine dust ! The mess is just that ,the larger particles are the mess the ultra fines are the real problems ,Collecting at the source top and bottom is the best way I have found to create a DUST FREE  scroll saw ! with chip traping and fine filteration confines all of the dust from re entering the area ! Collecting the finest dust from 0/3 spirals from beaverboard or emf Oak veneer stacked ply to BB -To 3/4" ply or solid .It can easily and completely done ! 

I always wear a respirator and have my dust collector turned on when using the scrollsaw and other woodworking machines, especially the planer. I don't like to breathe in the dust they produce, plus I don't like the fact that the dust from these machines are a leading cause for certain types of cancer and other breathing problems. For a small investment into a good quality respirator, you get so much protection, I just can't see why people take the chance.

Len

I always wear a respirator and have my dust collector turned on when using the scrollsaw and other woodworking machines, especially the planer. I don't like to breathe in the dust they produce, plus I don't like the fact that the dust from these machines are a leading cause for certain types of cancer and other breathing problems. For a small investment into a good quality respirator, you get so much protection, I just can't see why people take the chance.

Len

Thats great if you have a decontamination chamber to vac the rest of you body after your done !

Thats great if you have a decontamination chamber to vac the rest of you body after your done !

No Carl, I don't own or need a decontamination chamber, I use a vacumn cleaner to clean myself off. There's a lot of people who clean themselves off that way, it's better than using an air compressor that blows the dust everywhere. Plus, it's cheaper than building a decontamination chamber.

Len

I am afraid I was being forceaceous,trying to make a point .so many ,limit there comments to the bare minium and leave important details out and leave a lot to the immiagnation .in there explanation . your absolutely right about the vac step needed and was not really pickking on you personally ,the need for this type of care is vital and many practice none or claim they do more than they do ! Removing all the  dust from the surrounding area is a passion ,so masks and resessorators don't have to be cleaned and bagge dafter es use and applied before entering work area ,they are hot and sweatty and not the most comfortable things to use and you still have all the dust around everything you touch .THAT IS WHY i am such a stickler for catching it all and removing it all from the scene at the source ,IT IS QUITE DOABLE AND EFFECTIVE , AND PROBABLY COST LESS THE MASK AND CANASTERS !