Which saw?

Sparkey

Hands down the 788. 20" vs 16" no brainer !!! Remember the most important thing about scrollin --- it's the blade that cuts the wood not the saw ! Each saw has good and bad points but my $100 skil scrollsaw doesn't CUT any better than my $450 Dewalt scrollsaw or any worst . Buy the 788 and use the extra cash for quality blades and added extra's for your saw. Coarse thats just my 2 cents worth.

sully

The thing that worries me about the DeWalt is I have been reading a lot of bad reviews. I can't remember where but there is a place with over 400 reviews and thirty percent of them got saws with bad tables. A couple of people had to return the saw three times before they got a good one. Then I have seen quite a few reviews where motors and arms wear out within a year. If I buy a new saw I don't want one that is high maintenance.

I have two dewalts in my school shop. I had to replace fuses and a switch in the first few months we used them but since then they have good. I "needed" a new saw at home and wanted something better then the dewalt, so I got an ex-21. my Excalibur is hands down a better machine then the dewalt.

however, I don't think that everybody will use the scroll saw to the extent that they will notice/appreciate the difference. And that is not a bad thing.  

Rusty, all saws will require some maint. All three of my saws have needed work, If you are just a hobbyist and only use it a few hours a week then it's a non issue. If you are a diehard cutter like myself ( 40 - 60 ) hours a week then you will need to maintain your saw.My first saw which was a Skil from Lowes for around $100 started breaking parts after only about a month. My 788 was used for ? years before it was given to me and i used almost non stop 2 years before it was ready for a overhaul which it's still waiting for. I'm back to useing the Skil and it just keeps on going.Type 1's are better than type 2's so i've heard.

sully

Hi Rusty

My choice would be the Excalibur providing the 16" is going to satisfy your needs.

14 years ago I purchased the 30" Excalibur belt driven and has operated flawlessly. There is little to no vibration, changing blades is fast, I get more use out of each blade by simply raising the top arm a little, smooth and quiet. Service from the company is excellent.

DeWalt is also a good saw and it used to be made by Excalibur until I believe 2003.

Google the reviews on each and it will give you some indication on the pros and cons of each. Good luck with your decision.

Hi Rusty;

One reason regarding some of the bad reviews you came across regarding the DeWalt is that around 2003 they started acquiring some of the parts off shore in order to offset costs and like so many commodities today most manufacturers have no alternative in order to stay competitive in the market place. All to do with the high cost of labour. I know even in our business we had to close the quarry we use to own in Quebec. We now purchase majority of our granite out of China in order to stay competitive. Sorry for going on and on.

And you are right, you don't want an item that is high maintenance. Which is why I don't mind paying more providing I am going to get the service when in need. Now I don't know what the new Excalibur scroll saws are like now that they are made by General but the reviews I have read have been good. One downside of course is that not everyone wants to be in that price range. Thank you.

Rusty and Sparkey (;>)... OK... Sparkey or Rusty

A little buzzsaw going on the two scroll saws.

If there were only these two saws and money was no object,

I probably would go with the EX 16.

Your posing the question lead me to do some research.

Reviews, history, cost, where manufactured...etc, Excalibur rates high

and Dewalt is also a good product.

I have a Delta 20  40-695 that is supposedly just like the Dewalt 788.

The only problem I have experienced is a struggle to keep the blade cutting

true on thick cuts. I think this is a clamping issue. If any table and blade are at a

90 degree angle then it must be a front to back leaning problem caused by the

blade not being true when clamped.

It's a problem I haven't solved since different blades exagerate or lessen the problem.

And at times there is "NO" problem.When I change blades, I assume it is true front

to back. Example would be, on the top clamp, the blade is near the front of the clamp

and on the bottom clamp, the blade is near the rear resulting in a tilted blade.

I don't know how the EX 16 clamps work, maybe the EX16 clamps keep the blade true

front to back.

That's my two dollars worth,

Larry

Larry from what I have been reading the ex has an adjustment so you can also true the blade front to back as well as side to side. The DeWalt doesn't have that option. I saw a review on youtube where they stood a nickel on it's side and turned the saw on and the nickel didn't move. With the saw I have now I can't even do that with the nickel laying flat. Not sure if I'm going to get a new saw, just doing some research in case I do.

Rusty and Sparkey (;>)... OK... Sparkey or Rusty

A little buzzsaw going on the two scroll saws.

If there were only these two saws and money was no object,

I probably would go with the EX 16.

Your posing the question lead me to do some research.

Reviews, history, cost, where manufactured...etc, Excalibur rates high

and Dewalt is also a good product.

I have a Delta 20  40-695 that is supposedly just like the Dewalt 788.

The only problem I have experienced is a struggle to keep the blade cutting

true on thick cuts. I think this is a clamping issue. If any table and blade are at a

90 degree angle then it must be a front to back leaning problem caused by the

blade not being true when clamped.

It's a problem I haven't solved since different blades exagerate or lessen the problem.

And at times there is "NO" problem.When I change blades, I assume it is true front

to back. Example would be, on the top clamp, the blade is near the front of the clamp

and on the bottom clamp, the blade is near the rear resulting in a tilted blade.

I don't know how the EX 16 clamps work, maybe the EX16 clamps keep the blade true

front to back.

That's my two dollars worth,

Larry

Larry;  sounds like you do not have enough tension on the blade.  This is one of  the problems my friend has with his DeWalt.  He borrowed my 1988 Jet twice (while getting the DeWalt repaired) and likes the jet because he can get more tension on the blade.  The DeWalt will only go so far.  My Jet or my Hegners allow me to tension the blade all the way to breaking the blade.  This is useful for cutting thicker woods.

Edited by Jim Finn