Hegner Multimax-2

It looks like it is only a single speed. Can anyone tell me if you can update a saw with a control like this?

It was made in 1987. I don't know if I can get a freak drive put on it or if Hegner would sell one of their controls or if it would have to be used as a single speed.

Any input or information where to go to get information will be appreciated.

post-19286-0-66190600-1392067836_thumb.jpgpost-19286-0-61780500-1392067850_thumb.jpg

First thing i'd do is turn that saw around .Looks more comfortable with one leg in front.If JIM has one and loves it i'm sold.I'm leary of scroll saw with long arms on top for vibration sake.Plus one bearing or bushing for the whole top arm seems slack.But people rave about them and the life they get out of them .i've never tryed one   ik think the blade changes very different to but you can get used to anything.Does sound like too fantastice a deal for the saw.500 sounds better. :)

I agree on turning the saw around. I would build a mounting plate at about a 20 degree angle so that I won’t have to lean out over the saw to see the blade correctly. I did that to the saw I am using now after seeing your saw Kevin and it really worked well for me. It saves my neck and back a great deal. I am a fairly tall man at 6’ 6†and have a problem with prebuilt stands not being high enough for me so that will give me a chance to adjust the height to fit me correctly.

I am pretty sure you cannot change the speed on that saw without changing out the motor at a cost of over $500.  One other thing about that saw, there is no quick tension relief lever on it.  You have to reach to the back of the saw and turn the knob to release tension or to apply tension to the blade.  I bought a quick release for mine at a cost of $65 and I put a quick clamp on the top ($35) to make it easier to change blade position.  If you have to have speed control I would pass on this saw.  I run all three of my saws at full speed so it is not an issue for me.

http://www.hegner.co.uk/Heg_Variable_Speed

Thanks Jim for the info. I will be looking for those attachments after this Friday. I did find the answer to my question on changing from single speed to variable speed on the Hegner UK web site and posted the link here.

The saw I have now has the knob in the back of the saw so I am use to that but the quick change would be a bonus.

Thank You all for the advice. I knew I could count on the good folks on this forum. :) 

Advanced Machinery has all things hegnar in the states, and is awesome to deal with. (wonderful customer service)

http://www.advmachinery.com/c-6-scroll-saw-accessories.aspx

The quick clamp for the top screw and the tuff key for the bottom screw are great adds to a hegnar.

http://www.advmachinery.com/c-77-upgrades-for-older-hegner-scroll-saws.aspx

The quick release is another nice addition, but I never got it for mine. I was used to always re-tensioning with my Hitachi, so it wasn't an issue for me.

It is a done deal!!!! I made the trip to Kansas and bought the saw today. :D  I was under the impression that this was going to be an 18†saw

(woops that is one question I didn't ask. I should know never to assume)

and was kind of worried about how it was going to fit in my limited space but it turned out to be a 14†saw. For most of the work I do this will work better than a bigger saw. It is a cute little devil and works like a new one. Even the original package of blades was only missing a couple blades so I don’t think it has more than a couple hours on it. Even the blower that they said didn’t work was only plugged with a little saw dust. :D :D  

All in all I am very happy with the saw even if it isn’t as big as I originally thought. ;)

I have a 25" Hegner  a 20" Hegner and an old 15" Jet.  I use the 15"Jet the most and the 25" Hegner the least. I am sure you will like this saws once you get used to the blade changing.  I added a little stop to the blade clamp holder that makes aligning up the blade in the clamp easier. See Photo of this stop that is pop riveted in place.

post-2247-0-32775700-1392480400_thumb.jpg

So that is what that little doohickey is used for! I figured it was something to do with the changing of the blade but wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks Jim I will have to machine a little block to work as an alignment stop. Just got done inspecting the bellows and while they still move a little air they do have a crack in them and will need replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mrs. N for the contact info. I ordered a new bellow and a pair of .02 blade clamps today.

Now that I have spent some quality time with this saw I am really starting to like it.

It is funny how different saws act so much different. It is like they have their own personality. :) 

I plan to buy one at some time but right now I just want to get everything working correctly.

I will use my old saw for fretwork and use this one for the intarsia for now.

I was planning on setting the old saw up at an angle and trying my hand at some inlay work and if I liked how it turned out just leaving it setup and ready to go. ;)

:woot:  Gee I might have to buy a third saw to have one setup for fretwork. :rofl:  :rofl: 

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have the quick clamp on the top clamp of your saw?    http://www.advmachinery.com/p-74-quickclamp-for-hegner-scroll-saws.aspx

I realy like mine and have one on all thee of my saws.

I was hesitant at spending the money for the quick clamp but wish I would have done it right away. :oops: That really speeds things up! :D :D

Thanks Jim for the advice.