Lamp upgrade on my Dewalt scrollsaw

Gary Beasley

I managed to break the little 25 watt spotlight in the lamp on my Dewalt 20 inch scrollsaw, mainly because I had it really close to the work to get more light on it while cutting. The blade snatched the piece of wood and flailed it into the front of the bulb.
I decided I needed more light than a 25 watt bulb would make so I went looking at the alternatives. The label on the lamp housing warned against using anything hotter than a 25 watt bulb so the 60 watt version that is available was out. Then I tried to find an LED with an intermediate base to fit. Seems the manufacturers overlooked that size entirely. There was the regular base and candelabra, the only intermediates were low output Christmas lights. I even checked for adaptors, no go. There is however a 13 watt, 60 watt equivalent output CFL with an intermediate base. Only problem is they stick out about an inch in front when screwed in. I finally found a plastic pipe fitting, called a 2" DWV male adaptor for less than $1.50 at HD that would slip right in at the thread end with just a little shaving on the lathe with a skew. I ran a bead of thick CA around it and slipped it in and it looks almost like I knew what I was doing. Yeah we got pictures!
PS I found the bulb at Lowes.

post-19466-0-46713200-1382574188_thumb.jpg
post-19466-0-33892300-1382574187_thumb.jpg
post-19466-0-58594300-1382574184_thumb.jpg

I USED TO BUY THE 150 WATT VERSION AND REALLY LIKED IT BUT TO MANY PROBLEMS OF ME IN A HURRY TO CHANGE THE BLADE I'D HIT IT WHITH THE WOOD EXCHANGE AND SHATTER IT.aT 15 BUCKS A POP I HAD TO STOP THAT NONSENCE AND GO FOR THE 150 CLEAT LIGHT BULBS AT 2 BUCKS A POP.THEY ARE VERY HOT AND MISS THE FLOURESANT ONES LIKE YOU HAVE NOW ,BE CAREFUL.

I USED TO BUY THE 150 WATT VERSION AND REALLY LIKED IT BUT TO MANY PROBLEMS OF ME IN A HURRY TO CHANGE THE BLADE I'D HIT IT WHITH THE WOOD EXCHANGE AND SHATTER IT.aT 15 BUCKS A POP I HAD TO STOP THAT NONSENCE AND GO FOR THE 150 CLEAT LIGHT BULBS AT 2 BUCKS A POP.THEY ARE VERY HOT AND MISS THE FLOURESANT ONES LIKE YOU HAVE NOW ,BE CAREFUL.

Where were you able to find 150 watt cfl bulbs? The 60 was the highest output I could find.

Can get intermediate LED spotlights which fit nicely (I searched every so often for 2 years - they must have come out recently).  Can also buy intermediate/candelabra convertors (amazon, ebay) but I never found a small enough CFL that was bright (the size is the toughest issue is my recollection).

Details:  http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/tools-and-blades/51245.htm

• 3 months later...

Great idea, but are the DeWalt lights really that dim? I have one of those lights that are supposed to help with depression and it works pretty good. I have it sitting on a coffee can and move it closer to the saw to get more light. It does fine for me but I'm hoping when I get my new saw it will be fine. Have a great day    Fay

Hi Everyone,

My solution to that problem uses a different approach. I just made a hardwood shelf under the saw that friction fits into the space between saw & stand. I then drilled spaced holes in it the same size as the base prong on my swing-spring arm lamp. I use a good daylight fl bulb and just can move it anywhere I need to.

I also have holes on the otherside. I actually have another similar designed set-up on my drillpress and can swing both lights to cover an area where I use a vice that is mounted on the drill press stand.

If I can uplaod here with out reducing the picture sizes like I had to in the past, I can easily provide more pictures.

I can really get good light when I need it!

post-2363-0-53760200-1392244180_thumb.jpg