nidge

Welcome to the forum nidge.  I'm sure once you get set up and started, you'll enjoy it, and make some awesome projects.  The wife will have a long list in very short order.

Make sure the table is square to the blade when you are first setting it up.  After that, keep your fingers back and practice, try to turn as tight as you can.  You'll be surprised.

Russell

Welcome to the forum!

Too bad you have to wait on the saw but, that gives you time to read up on some of the important basics such as
blade selection. Lots of people have their own opinion on the best blades to use so that will be up to you once you
try a few different brands but, more importantly, try to pick the right size blade for the projects you intend to cut.

I can cut everything from 1/8" thick to 1 1/2" thick with a number 5 blade so, if you experiment with a few different
sizes you will see the difference between cutting thin material with more chip out worries up to as thick as your blade
clamps will allow.

If you decide to practice with some spiral blades early in your learning process it may help you become more proficient with
them than someone like myself that relied on flat blades and now am leery about using spiral blades because they cut from
any edge of the spiral blade and take lots of practice.

I can't wait to see what projects appeal to you and see some of your work. You can probably find any type of pattern you
want to try FREE right here. Some fret-work (lots of holes and detailed patterns), some intarsia ( Judy Gale Roberts Intarsia Studio)
can give you some FREE intarsia patterns to try with a good explanation of the process, some word art such as name plaques, and
some walling hangings like crosses, etc. The scroll saw is really very versatile!
Have fun and God Bless! Spirithorse

On 12/20/2017 at 2:43 PM, nidge said:

hi all I am a complete newby from derby uk any advice to get me started after the new year would be great my wife has informed me that she has got me a scroll saw from santa ?? so don't no the brand think a basic to try it out as I have been wanting to try for a while best regards nidge

Welcome to the village Nigel,Hope Santa has expensive tastes,Show us some firewood projects you start out on .We love pictures around here and all have made firewood,Welcome again and be a regular,so much valuable info comes inn everyday!!!!!!!!Everyone's comments are more than welcome!

Hi Nigel:

Welcome to the Village from Minnesota.  Here is a strange exercise I used the help my Grandson master tight turns.  Drill a hole just large enough to insert your blade.  Now practice rotating the workpiece with slight pressure against the back of the (non spiral) blade.  Done correctly, the hole will not grow in size.  You will note that if you allow the blade's teeth to drag on the side of the hole, they will enlarge the hole.  The trick is to keep the blade centered across the equator of the hole as your rotate the piece.

After you get the feel for that, you can download some practice patterns.  Here is one I have used:  http://www.scrollsawgoodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/TCF0003_Practice.pdf

Above all, have fun!

Bruce