Request help for a problem

frankorona

Hello friends, good morning.

I have a question that I hope to help me solve.

I have problems with my spine in the lumbar area.

This is the machine that I have for to work.

When I work with many holes, I have to release tension on blade.

And put it back below, I have to lean forward to see where the blade is hollow.

This movement, brings me excruciating pain in my back.

How I can insert the blade without having to lean much ?

Trying to insert it from above is very difficult because there is no visibility to see the fastener of the cutting blade.

For now I have placed a mirror that reflects the bottom and thus see the holes.

I still do not prove this system, any other suggestions?

In advance thank you very much for your attention and suggestions.

P.S. the plate having above the dish is to get more yield to the cutting blades.

post-14627-0-90170800-1474738921_thumb.jpg

post-14627-0-84814500-1474738924_thumb.jpg

post-14627-0-29016600-1474738927_thumb.jpg

post-14627-0-36669000-1474738928_thumb.jpg

Frank I don't have an answer except at one time I couldn't even do my shoe laces up, so I had all the usable pain killers xrays etc telling me there was nothing wrong I bought and inversion table use it 5 minutes a day for a month and all my pain disappeared it separates the vertebrae which gave the pain and if you build up the muscles in the back then you won't need to use it again. I'm not saying this will work for you but there's a chance. I love the PC fan idea by the way. Roly

This is a picture of a saw that is similar to my first saw. The ONLY way you could mount the bottom of the blade was to bend down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Skil-3335-07-1.2-Amp-16-in.-Scroll-Saw/37468252

I think that your only solution is to buy a more expensive saw that allows you to feed the blade from the top. They allow you to remain sitting upright.

Good luck Amigo.

jerry

A scrollsaw blade is very very flexible. You can almost bend a blade 90 degrees and it goes right back. My suggestion is to tilt the wood more and bend the blade more and thread it in. Do not be afraid to kink it. It will take some force to do that and if it happens so what change the blade. 

Another thought is (strickly out of the blue)and I have these on all my saws. A plexiglass top. I have found it gives me the right surface tension and slipping ability to spin the wood or material being cut plus it gives me a zero clearance hole (over the years that has not been the case any more) But what you may want to try is get some acrylic mirror and place a thin piece of plexi on top. The mirror will help you locate the holes. I am afraid if you do not use a top coating it would scratch too much and become dull. Or you could try one of those safety mirror such as used on medicine cabinets. Diamond drill will get your blade hole. 

Sorry but that is all I have for you. I do also have a bad back and can not sit at a saw as long as I used to. But we overcome for the love of the hobby. 

There's nothing worse than back problems that take the enjoyment out of what you enjoy doing the most. I would first check with your doctor and explain your situation. Maybe he'll suggest a back brace, a special chair and etc. that may help elevate the pain when changing blades. Wish you all the best Frank in finding a solution.

Frank, I'm sad to read of your issues, I to have serious back problems. Actually, I'm disabled due to back issues, and I found I had the same problem as you're experiencing. What I found that helped me, was raising my saw. I always used to sit-up at my saw when using it, that didn't bother me to awful much, but, changing the blade was definitely an issue. I suffered through this for a long time, then one of my buddies suggested that I raise my saw up higher then it was. I raised my saw up about 6", and I lowered my chair by about 2". This made it so that I wasn't looking straight down on the saw as I was cutting, and it made blade changes easier. It made the blade changes easier, because, by having the blade holders at the higher level I didn't have to bend over as far or twist my neck as much to see what I was doing. Maybe trying this suggestion, might help you with your problem. Hopefully it does, as it's not pleasant having back issues. Take care buddy.

Len

Hello friends, good morning.
I have a question that I hope to help me solve.
I have problems with my spine in the lumbar area.
This is the machine that I have for to work.
When I work with many holes, I have to release tension on blade.
And put it back below, I have to lean forward to see where the blade is hollow.
This movement, brings me excruciating pain in my back.
How I can insert the blade without having to lean much ?
Trying to insert it from above is very difficult because there is no visibility to see the fastener of the cutting blade.
For now I have placed a mirror that reflects the bottom and thus see the holes.
I still do not prove this system, any other suggestions?

In advance thank you very much for your attention and suggestions.
P.S. the plate having above the dish is to get more yield to the cutting blades.

Frank you can make a simple inversion table from wood to help your back.I understand that when your upside  down ,that is the time to twist and turn to help your back.I have a $700 one here and have it for when i'll need it .I impressed with all the fine wood work you 've done in excruciating pain.Staying busy in a chair helps i know.Look on line to see what inversion tables look like and go from therepost-1607-0-28301600-1474778840_thumb.jpg

Frank, sorry to hear of your back pain.I too have much pain, I have degenerative discs, doctor says there is nothing they can do. He suggested I try LIDOCAINE patches.You have to have a prescription for the 5% , but you can get 4% over the counter ( one brand is ASPERCREAM ) you can wear them for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. They help me very much. 4% costs about $8.00 for 5 at Walmart.

Good luck and hope you can get better.

Eddie