New SSWC

rdatelle

Still waiting!

I don't understand the USPS delivery system.

Ralph got his issue a week ago; I haven't received mine!

We both get our mail routed through the USPS facility on Boggs Rd in Gwinnett County, GA.

Does that mean my local post office in Jasper, GA is holding the magazine until they feel like sending it on?

I like to think the publisher sends all copies to a given area in bulk to save $$. Then it is up to the USPS to deliver.

bb

Brian reread Ralph's post. He did not say he rec'd it. I am sure yours will be there today or Monday.

I feel a little different than most here. I know some of you work for the magazine but this is just my opinion. I felt that both magazines had catered too much to the beginner scroller and there are no tough patterns for the experienced scroller that challenges you. I believe the reason is the length of the magazine and the need to keep them simple and quick. Yes there are patterns that appeal to all but to me over the years they are fewer and fewer so I gave up my subscription as well as my subscription to just about all woodworking magazines. I do not find myself going back to past magazines. i have now a huge problem of what to do with many years of many woodworking magazines. I do not want to just throw them out. It would be a huge shame to do this. I now go to Home Depot or other places that carry magazines and may scan them and if something  catches my eye then I buy them. I believe you can order some of the magazines by email now too. Yes that saves clutter but again value is the key. 

It would be interesting to read stats on the different magazines over the years. Has readership dropped or increased or stayed about the same. Could give an indication of the hobby itself. I am betting it has dropped dramatically. As I said just my opinion. 

I feel a little different than most here. I know some of you work for the magazine but this is just my opinion. I felt that both magazines had catered too much to the beginner scroller and there are no tough patterns for the experienced scroller that challenges you. I believe the reason is the length of the magazine and the need to keep them simple and quick. Yes there are patterns that appeal to all but to me over the years they are fewer and fewer so I gave up my subscription as well as my subscription to just about all woodworking magazines. I do not find myself going back to past magazines. i have now a huge problem of what to do with many years of many woodworking magazines. I do not want to just throw them out. It would be a huge shame to do this. I now go to Home Depot or other places that carry magazines and may scan them and if something  catches my eye then I buy them. I believe you can order some of the magazines by email now too. Yes that saves clutter but again value is the key. 

It would be interesting to read stats on the different magazines over the years. Has readership dropped or increased or stayed about the same. Could give an indication of the hobby itself. I am betting it has dropped dramatically. As I said just my opinion.

I do not work for anyone unless you count the wife.

John T. I don't know if magazine sales / readership would be a valid stat to gauge the health of our past time. Most printed magazines and the like have all been impacted by the internet and forums such as this one. Not saying it is good or bad. It is just the way of the 21st century. I think SSWC and the now defunct CWWC where a big reason for the growth of our past time in the 1990's and early 2000's. Time will tell where things are 10 years from now.

Edited by NC Scroller

I do not work for anyone unless you count the wife.

John T. I don't know if magazine sales / readership would be a valid stat to gauge the health of our past time. Most printed magazines and the like have all been impacted by the internet and forums such as this one. Not saying it is good or bad. It is just the way of the 21st century. I think SSWC and the now defunct CWWC where a big reason for the growth of our past time in the 1990's and early 2000's. Time will tell where things are 10 years from now.

Oh I agree about the magazines being an impact back in those days but those days are bygone days. There are not as many scrollers as there once was. you saw it in forums, gatherings,and I believe in magazine sales. As I said some people convert to internet volumes as opposed to hard copy if they are offered but there is still a fee. I see it in craft shows too. Pen turning is a new hot hobby and even that is taking hits. When people find out it is not so easy to sell these items it can become burdensome and not a lucrative hobby. If people can withstand the $$$$ crush then they continue. The world is a very different place than it was 20 years ago. I went from being in 6 different stores in top name malls and doing 10 shows a year down to 2 shows a year now. Sales are well off and not a good idea to throw good money after bad. I have added turning to my inventory and it has helped in sales but not enough to get back into things that full blown again. I remembered when I could not have enough stock in all stores. Those were the days. Times have changed and the invention of the Walmart stores and mentality. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I guess I live in a different area my sales have been pretty stable since I started selling my work. The only pricing question I have had in a long time is a woman that spent a small fortune told me my prices were too low. And trust me I am making a decent profit on my work.

Regarding the magazine articles in the different magazines being challenging or not. Is it the projects or is it that our skills have increased to a level where what might have been challenging is no longer.?

I love working with wood, all aspects of it and I need to be challenged, and yes I have and do some work with SSWWC. The three clocks that I did were challenging as was the north pointing chariot. Those projects out of necessity took up lots of real-estate. I always wonder how many readers actually build projects like that or are intimidated. 

All hobby magazines have the same challenge that is to bring in and attract all skill levels. 

As you say JT times have changed and who knows where the future will take us, but for me, as long as I am able I will have my hobbies and screw the expense.  :)