Dewalt Scroll Saw Won't Turn On

I went to start working this morning, and my preferred saw (dewalt type 1) wouldn't start. I blew out the switch with canned air, opened up the switch cover and blew that out, checked the connections under the switch head. I checked the fuse, which looked good. I rotated the motor. I took the switch from my other dewalt (type 2) and tried that, and that didn't work. I check the brushes (and had a devil of a time getting them back in). 

I've had other problems like this with my type 2 dewalt, but never the type 1. 

Is there anything else I can do? My other dewalt (the type 2) that I haven't used in months since it had so much knocking and vibration won't start now either. So I have no saw at the moment. Anyway I can get one of them up and running? I've heard people talk about bypassing the switch, but I have no idea how that would be done. Any suggestions?

As I understand it, a switch is just a way to break a circuit. So, if you unplug your saw and then take the two wires going to and from the switch and connect them to one another and plug in the saw, the saw should run it the problem is within the switch. First make sure that you have power at your outlet. You can plug in a space heater or a lamp or drill  or something like that. If you have power at the outlet and connecting the two switch wires together still does not work, then it could be a broken wire inside the saw. It is easy to dismantle and put back together. It is quite simple to do. There are several videos on the saw and i know someone can direct you to it,if you so desire. If you take it apart take a  good look for anything that might have a lot of  play or shows signs of metal shavings . that should give you a clue too. If you have  a tester you might try to see if there is a break anywhere in the wire with it.  Not sure I have the answer to your problem but i hope I have helped you in one way or a another.  Good luck, Post again when you figure it out, it could be helpful to myself or other people, later on. 

Dick

heppnerguy

• 7 years later...
35 minutes ago, Ross21 said:

My 40-694 scroll stop working.  I tested the switch, the fuse.  Nothing helped.  I figured it might me the circuit board and gambled that was the problem.  (no it wasn't) $225 mistake.  I still don't know what to do.   

Always gotta start with the most basic stuff like.. Is it plugged in? Power at the outlet? You already said the switch and fuse was fine but have you checked to see if the motor will spin freely, some motors have a slot in the end of the shaft where you can put a screw driver and spin it over.. some of these saws get stopped in a odd position and won't start back up unless you spin the motor over a little.. My old DeWalt did that a time or two over the 10-12 years I had it. Also have you checked the motor brushes?