Buying wood online?

Sledhead

I have been looking online for suitable wood for scrolling and fretwork, but I have been unable to find any thing. My local stores only carry plywood and I dont want to use that unless there is no other way. I would like to find about 1/2" thick domestic hardwoods, anywhere from 4" wide to 12" wide. Wildwood designs is the only place so far that I have found, and they go to 8" wide. They are in the process of updating their site so it isn't quite working right, but is there any where else?

I have bought boards off ebay and by being selective on what I buy and from whom, I haven't been disappointed yet.  Look for sellers with good reputations, one that have been selling there a long time and have a very high percent of satisfied customers, I mean ones that have done  a lot of transactions and are in the real high 90's (97%+) on satisfied customers. 

I buy mine from trash piles  the price is always right.specialized wood shops throw out a lot of good wood ,cabinet shops,I know of one that will pay you 30 dollars to take it away ,it to much for me, but I take and stock a lot from them.i f i have a request for a certain size wood they will cut it and give it to me!I've gotten zebra wood veneer ,mica,1/8 -1/4" 1/2" 3/4" and even 1" plywood from them,Casket making shops throw out the best wood of anybody,but you have to take it all! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I buy mine from trash piles  the price is always right.specialized wood shops throw out a lot of good wood ,cabinet shops,I know of one that will pay you 30 dollars to take it away ,it to much for me, but I take and stock a lot from them.i f i have a request for a certain size wood they will cut it and give it to me!I've gotten zebra wood veneer ,mica,1/8 -1/4" 1/2" 3/4" and even 1" plywood from them,Casket making shops throw out the best wood of anybody,but you have to take it all! :cool:

You realise now Kevin, that if ever you come over the big pond to see us over here in U.K. then you need to pack a lot of that free wood to bring for me and Rob (you can keep the $30 they pay you to take it away :roll: )

I recently purchased some wood through ebay. I will let you all know how things come out when i get mine.  Has anyone purchased wood from  www.ThinBoards.com     I placed an order with them over a month ago and it seems they may not be interested in selling to me as they almost never respond to my emails.  Just wondering

Dick

heppnerguy