Newbie from Texas

whirldworks

Scrolling is something I've been dreaming about for a long, long time. I've watched many, many videos and dreamed through pages of patterns. The delay has been 100% financial as I never was able to wrangle up enough cash to get the kind of saw I wanted. This week I found a listing on Craigslist for an older saw that I'm sure most of you wouldn't bother messing with, but for $30 I picked it up and inside the box were probably about $80 worth of blades.

Anyhow, I've already had fun playing with it and am planning to sit down to make something real very soon.

Hello and welcome to the Addiction!

I paid $11 for my first scrollsaw, But that was 60+ years ago. I still have it and it still works, running about 50 years on homemade parts, but still runs. I use it on very light cutting about once a year for the heck of it. I have worn out 2 other saws in between.

You will find all kinds of help and advice here as well as Ideas and patterns!

There are no "dumb questions" although I have seen stupid answers! Everybody does screw-ups, do NOT worry about them most are repairable and the rest can be useful for the campfire!

Scrounge up some free wood for the practice runs and have a great time. Make the "nest" comfortable for you. What works for someone else does NOT matter; what works for you does. Use a small shop vac and jury rig close to your saw to help with sawdust removal, some saws even have a vac port.

The forum will give timely answers -- advice- patterns- ideas and a load of crap to everyone! None of the garbage is personal-- just noise!

We do like to see work, not everyone can be the world's best, do NOT worry about it! If you like it; it is good enough to show us!

welcome from Ohio. one thing we like here is pictures God., bad, funny, show your saw, A $30 saw is worth seeing, and it won't be long till you will be getting a better one, this is a good place to get information, patterns, and of cores a ribbing one in a while.

Welcome to the Village Patrick, please make yourself at home, here we are all just friends who have gone through the same learning process as you're about to venture on, it takes a bit of time and a lot of wood to practice but it will all work out for the best. Hell many of us scrollers have been at it for 40, 50 and even 60 years and we're still learning. Just remember that it takes 1 hole at a time to create a master piece. And don't be to hard on your self. Get used to using the spiral blades cause once you master them you'll wonder how people can scroll without them. Good luck and show us your progress we love to look at pictures.

.../Hans

Welcome to ssv,Best advice i can give for a begginer is keep your blades guitar string tight,taunt.It should have a nice high ping sound when you pluck it.That helps you go straight and break less blades.When making a turn just push back a little inthe corner to hold your blade in one spot to keep it from getting away from you as you start to make the turn.When you go off the line ,no problem just blend it back on course.Those are just happy mistakes nobody will ever know about or see.Go slower on curves as it easyier to lose control one them more than straight lines.But same thing again just feather it back on to the line gently. I do it all the time with my letters but you can't see it as it's only a lines width away from where it's supposed to be before i catch it.Enjoy your new found love.I love scrolling more than anything.Im at peace with the world scrolling!Thanks for joining !Help is only a click away!

Welcome to the Village Patrick.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Just remember scrolling is supposed to be fun if its not stop and take a break it will soon be fun again.  One thing to remember when scrolling is to relax especially your shoulders.

Marg

Hi Patrick. Tony from Canada here. It's a great place you came across here. I'm kind of a new guy as well but always learning. Ask a question and you always get an answer. You are going to like your new hobby wether you make simple things or fancy stuff. Take your time and think things through and you will do fine.

Patrick, 

The best advice I can give you is to log on here often, This will keep you enthused to keep scrolling. This is a busy site and there is much to see and do here. Be sure and check out The University here. It is free and very helpful. I good place to spend your time when you are on the computer. As you already understand, this place is filled with many people from all over the world but we are all family and by logging on often, you will understand, shortly, that you too have become a part of our world wide family too. 

What kind of a saw did you end up buying ? Hey here is a little hint for you,,,,,,made many pieces for your wife and family. Give them with love and before long you will have so much support from them about your new hobby that when it comes time to upgrade your saw, they will be the ones to say, " go for it"... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dick

heppnerguy

The saw I bought was a Master Mechanic 15". Apparently these are sold by True Value hardware stores, but the newer models look nothing like the one I bought on CraigsList. The guy I bought it from inherited it from his dad and it was still in the original box. The manual was also in the box and even had the original purchase receipt in it from 1991!

There were also about 80 blades in all sorts of sizes, both pin and plain end, as well as the adapter to be able to use either type on this saw.

It has a little surface discoloration on the table, but nothing I can't recondition with a little wire brush and fine sandpaper.

mmscrollsaw