Best working height for saw table

OCtoolguy

I am new to this hobby. I have an older DeWalt 788 with the factory stand made of steel tubing. It seems awfully tall. I'm 6'1" tall. I was wondering if some of you who might be in the same size range as me could suggest what height is best for you. I have an adjustable shop stool and even in it's lowest setting, it is too high. My saw table is high but I have put the two rear legs up on a 3" spacer to angle the saw table a bit downward. I saw this suggestion somewhere and it does make my arms more comfortable for working. But I still feel that the saw is too tall. Before I take a hacksaw to the legs, I thought I'd ask here what everybody's thoughts are. I'd appreciate any feedback you all might give. Thanks, and I really enjoy reading all the stuff you folks have to say.

Ray

Ray, I suppect this is a hard one to answer.  Simply, in my opinion depends on what feels comfortable for you.  I have tried several configurations and heights and think I am finally very comfortable with what I have.  I did not like the metal stand that came with my saw so I build mine using a part of an old kitchen cabinet someone discarded.  I originally made it with a slanted top, as you have but have since made it level, just more comfortable for me.  I do not think there is a forumla, it is trial and error.  Even more so than when working on a wood lathe.

Hi Ray:

Scrappile's reply is along the same line as I was going to say.

Sometimes I stand, other times I sit.

I do have an adjustable stool that I sit on and it never stays at the same height.

Just depends on how it's working that day.

Your the one that knows if it reals right or not.

Trial and error as mentioned above.

You'll know when you have hit your sweet spot.

The following of the line/pattern will be much easier to see and work with.

Fab4

Thanks to both of you. I think maybe my problem is not so much the saw as the stool. I'm going to try something else and see if that helps. I did put and axle and two wheels on the two rear legs so it would be easier to move around. That was a good mod. I'm trying to come up with a way to mount the foot switch so it's easier to operate. In my mind, the front should have only one leg so a person could straddle it. Two legs just get in the way. I'm going to mess around with it but I thought maybe someone here would have a suggestion that would make it easier to start with.

Ray

I have my dw788 exactly 1' higher in the rear than the front.I can see what's happening better and would like to try even higher. I sit when i cut and adjust the chair accordingly.I also contact cemented a piece of white formica on the saw table table.Makes for easy sliding and clean up .no oils or waxes needed.And doesn't rust!!!

The standard tablesaw comfort height recommended for everyone is "Waist High" **

No matter how tall you are, some legs are shorter than others.

** From the Standard Working Recommendation, page 14  **

PM LarrEA for other standards from his book, " Standard Working Recommendation "

The bench you sit on, is the answer. I use my saw on my work bench and I adjust my stool to the height that puts me where I am in a comfortable position while I cut. I do not lift the back of my saw because it just seems right to me. It also allows me better sight to the under part of the saw and the lower set screw. The secret is to try different locations for yourself and find what works for you. The same goes for the blades you use. Everyone seems to eventually feel like they have discovered the correct blade and brand. It really is just what makes your life easiest. No one way or blade is best for everyone. Sort of like picking the correct pickup truck or car.. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks to everybody for your input. I guess I will just have to tinker around and see what works. I think my shop stool might be the problem. It sits too high even in it's lowest setting. I'm going to try to find a wooden bar stool at about 30 inches and see if that helps. Thanks again.

Ray

• 1 month later...

I started this thread and then got away from it. Now, I'm getting ready to build a stand for my saw. It will put the table height at 34.5". I am 6'1" tall. I am going to buy a cheap office chair from Staples that will give me the adjustment I need. Can any of you folks out there give me any feedback on your size and working height of your saw table? I have it sitting on the factory stand now and I have a shop stool. Both are too high to sit at comfortably. Thanks for any input you all may have to offer. I know it's a matter of personal preference but I'm just trying to get some idea of whether I'm on the right track.

Ray

Ray, here's some numbers for you, I hope they help. I'm 5'8" tall, my saw stand is set at 34" from the floor, that makes the very top of the cutting surface 41" high. I have an old office chair that I removed the back from that I sit on, it is 28" high. It swivels, and has a chrome ring around the bottom of it that you can rest your feet on if you want to. The legs on my stand are 24" apart, and I have a motorcycle stud on each leg. With the way I have this set-up, my legs are high enough to dangle above the floor. This is the way I wanted it so that, if I want to just have one check on the chair while partially standing while sawing I could. All of this was done, to be more comfortable when at the saw. The reason for the studs, I had them and thought they would make sawing even more comfortable. I was right, it's just as if I was riding my bike down the road with my feet on the pegs, very very comfortable. The difference between sitting at the saw and sitting on the bike, is that with the saw your hands are closer together. I would post a picture if I could, but, every time I try to post pics my comp times itself out and nothing happens. I've been trying to get this problem solved for years, but no luck and this is the only service provider that works in our area. To change to another provider is like going to dial-up they're so slow, at least with this provider I can watch videos if I want too. I hope you can figure out the numbers I posted, and that they may help you. Good luck.

Len

Thanks Len. It sounds like your work table is about as high as mine is now. I'm trying to get it lower so I can sit lower. Right now I have a shop stool that is a swivel seat and it's too small to sit on comfortably. Like you, I know what I want. I also have a foot switch that must play into the equation. I can deal with that once I have the saw at the height I want. It's a shame you don't have the choices we have here in the States. I am hooked up to Verizon FIOS and it's very fast. Posting pics is quite easy. I just save the pic to my desktop and when it asks me where the pic is located I tell it and away it goes. Maybe we can have a bit of a class on how it's done one of these times. If you want to chat via email, let me know. Thanks again,

Ray

I sit in a, roll around, office chair while cutting at my scroll saws.  I cut four inches off of the Hegner stand so that when I am cutting, the table is at chest height.  My back is up straight and I have the saw table level.  I sometimes sit at my saw for hours and hours and never have a back problem. All the other tools in my shop I stand at, while using.

Thanks Jim. I'm trying to imagine how working at chest height would be. In my mind's eye, I see you resting your chin on the table. I know that is not the case but it just came into my mind. I'll have to see what that would come out to. I think my table will be about the same. Thanks again,

Ray

p.s. Jim, do you have your saw tilted toward you? I have mine tilted right now by putting a 2 x 4 under the legs at what I call the rear of the saw. That tilts the table down just a bit and seems to make it easier to work/see what I'm doing. The stand I'm building calls for an adjustable platform that will allow as much or little tilt as might be desired.

Edited by octoolguy

Ray,

Here are some pictures of my table I posted last July on another forum.  Front of table is 25 1/4 inches high.  Back is 30 1/2 inches high. Table top is 18 x 26.  Front legs are 2x4.  Rear leg is 2x6.  Legs are cut at 10 degrees to join top.  Saw table sits at 32 inches above floor and front of saw table extends about 8 inches to the front of table I made.  Foot switch sits on floor a little right of center of front legs.  The front legs do not get in the way when I saw and saw is about 6 inches from my chest when most of cutting is done.  I sit in a swivel office chair on rollers with back.  Back lets me lean back to relax.  Rollers allow me to move back and forth quickly when turning a long piece of wood usually without stopping the cut when I move.  I do not have any problems with chair trying to move on its own.  Chair adjusts for seat to be between 15 and 20 inches above floor.  I am around 5’11†and the saw sits a couple of inches high for me.  Next time I move saw I plan on cutting legs down a bit.  A long time ago I heard you can determine the height of your work table by placing your chin on your fist and looking straight ahead and with arm straight down height of elbow above floor is height you need to set your work surface. My table was made of reclaimed wood.  I figure it does not need to be pretty to work good but it does need to work pretty good.

post-23228-0-43291100-1426965752.jpgpost-23228-0-34753700-1426965763.jpgpost-23228-0-57249400-1426965770.jpgpost-23228-0-04103000-1426965999.jpgpost-23228-0-67958600-1426966010.jpgpost-23228-0-75437500-1426966178.jpg

Larry

Edited by JustLarry

Thanks Larry. That is exactly what I was trying to find out. I like all your dimensions. I am a bit taller than you so it would probably work out well for me. This has been a most helpful post. Thanks again for your time and posting of pics. Now, I go to the shop and start building.

Ray