Hello!

courdorygirl

Hello everyone!  I asked for a received my very first scroll saw from Santa for Christmas, and have used it so far to make a couple of badly cut puzzles, and practice my lines.  I'm getting better every day though!  

I'm not sure how I got into it.  I think I saw one of Steve Good's videos on youtube while looking for something unrelated (Well, not totally, I believe I was looking for how to make a puzzle template for one of my other crafts... but, I digress.)  

I'm looking forward to checking out the posts and getting to know everyone!

Angel

Courdory,,,you should like westerns and horses :) Welcome to Scrollsaw Village!

Well girl, you have lots to read and hopefully, lots to to tell and show us. We love pictures.

Tell us which scrollsaw you have. Now as to patterns, you got your pick including puzzels,

baskets, bowls, protraits, and so many I can't name them all.

And it looks like you can design you own.

You ask, we help. Like to chat? Visit with us at the Coffee House.

Well Angel, others waiting, so I'll go.

Larry

Angel,

Well to The Village where everyone is friendly and helpful whenever they can be. You did not give us much information about your saw but because you are new at this scroll saw stuff, I am going to take the liberty to send a couple of tips your way that may help you, or maybe you already know these things,  but never the less, here they are

1. The blades you use are very  important and will make all the difference in the world. If you are currently using blades purchased from the big box stores, you will be struggling to obtain the outcome you are after.

2. The wood you use is probably the second most important aspect to achieving your goals.

3. If you have a variable speed saw then I would suggest using a slower speed to start with, but not the slowest. This will aid in being able to make those tight corners you have in puzzle making

4. Don't use your blades too long of a time. Dull blades will continue to cut, usually before they break, but they do not track well and make it very hard to stay on the pattern lines. (Depending on the hardness of your wood and the thickness of it, your blade may be good for as short as 1/2 hour. ply wood also will dull your blades quickly )

5. Don't start with very difficult patterns, as it will probably discourage you if you do. Cut the easier patterns and then challenge yourself a little at a time

these are five of the things that I think are the most important things a new scroller needs to know. Other people here may through out some other ideas.  You can be assured that we are all glad that you have found us here. Take your time and explore all the places you can get to . Post some of your project and keep in mind that we all started at the beginning and we are not critical of anyone's work, we only give positive encouragements.   If you  have any questions.....ask

Dick

heppnerguy

Welcome Angel,You did good finding the village,any help you need is a click away. You'll get more answers different ways so take your pick .More than one way to skin a cat.Glad to have you here!We'd love a new cook in the coffee shop here,same ol same ol ,lol Let's see what you can drum up for breakfast for the gang once in a while,heck everyday if you want .Yes we love pictures too.Need machine repairs we can set you straight.You won't regret finding us ,Thanks for joining .P.S. don't miss a day to much free info ,laughs and loads of finished projects show up everyday! :) :) :)

Welcome Angeka. I was about your age when I started scrolling. I am now 75 so you have a hobby that will last you for a long time The best advice I have is Use a good saw blade like the flying douchman or Olson bot are good bladesand you can't find them in a big  box store. som buy them off the internet, blut I have a woods craft store where i get them. Keep your speed down till lyou get a little better it won't take long. and wax your table. and finally if you have any questions post them We will answer them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello back to everyone!  I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I forgot to bookmark the website!  Anyhoo, I'm really enjoying scrolling so far and getting better every day I get to saw.  Unfortunately, my husband and I are renting a duplex and we have no shop or back yard, so my workstation is currently on my parents back porch (They live about 3 miles away,)  so I can't saw all the time like I want to.

Let's see, I forget the brand...I know my saw was bought at Harbor Freight because I'd never done woodworking before (didn't even take wood shop in school, I opted for art classes instead, because that's what one of my majors is.  The other is French, for those curious.)  I have discovered that I really like making puzzles (and I have both a craft fair and two conventions coming up and I'm hoping to make a little pocket money, of course!)  Both jigsaw and children's.  I found some Olson brand spiral blades at Lowe's, but I think next time I'm going to order the Flying Dutchman ones.  Unfortunately, there are no Woodcraft stores in Arkansas.  The closest one is in OK, a four-hour drive away.  Maybe I'll make a day trip of it some day.

I like doing the children's puzzles on 1/4" poplar, and the jigsaw puzzles on 1/4" Baltic Birch.  I tried to saw some 3/4" pine originally, but it was thick and slow going and I was way too tense!

I think I answered everyone's questions about me.  I have pictures of everything I've made so far, but they are still in my phone.  As soon as I move them to the computer, I will upload them here!  

Thank you for the kind welcome!

• 1 year later...

Hi Angel, I'm a Newbe to the Village too but I've had a great welcome from the group and they have offered lots of helpful tips already. I do have a Woodcraft nearby and I do get blades there along with sanding strips. I occasionally buy some Baltic Birch and Bubinga  boards there also but I usually order my wood online. I have had a lot of success with Scroller online. I buy patterns and their "Superior Puzzle Blade" #BLFDPZ makes the tightest turns. The blade will pass through a .002 size drill hole. They are perfect for puzzles. BTW, Woodcraft does have an online store.

Happy scrolling.