Work in Progress - A Case for Flat Blades

Scrappile

This is a project I started in March.  It is called the "Five Dragon Box", pattern from "finescrollsaw.com". It is no where near finished, not glued up I just have is assembled for the picture.  This is the project that made me go from an advocate for spiral blades only, to an advocate of it is wise to get proficient with both flat and spiral blades.  I cut this out with spirals, now I am in the process of filing/sanding all the cuts to remove the spiral saw marks.  It is going to take me a long time!  I have about 1/3 of the top piece done.  I only work on it for short period because I hate sanding and I keep finding excuses to sit at the scroll saw. 

Been temped to try out some scroll saw files like these: http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/product.php?productid=90&cat=&page=1

Anyone know it they work??

post-22608-0-44513500-1431876139_thumb.jpg

I like this pattern,, it might be my turn to copy. It is when I see something posted and I really like it, that I am driven to buy the pattern, usually not so much from the pattern magazines as they are usually so small they do not enthuse me much.  Always a great piece when you cut it. I love your wood choices too

Dick

heppnerguy

I like this pattern,, it might be my turn to copy. It is when I see something posted and I really like it, that I am driven to buy the pattern, usually not so much from the pattern magazines as they are usually so small they do not enthuse me much.  Always a great piece when you cut it. I love your wood choices too

Dick

heppnerguy

Nice box my-be me copying as well, but too many irons in the fire at the moment.

***Merlin***

Dick and Merlin, do not hesitate to order from this guy.  He is a great person  to deal with, very good service.  I have ordered from him twice not.  The first time I ordered was the pattern for this box.  I requested the pattern be sent via email so I would save postage.  I received it the next day, however, with my printers I could not get as clear of  a printed pattern as I wanted.  So I wrote and asked it I needed to buy the pattern again to get him to send it USPS.  No he said just pay the postage.  It was well worth it.  I have since ordered 3 more box patterns from him this time hard copy.  It is not expensive to take them to Staples, or Office Depot to have copies made. 

I take you folks don't work one project through from start to finish? I have been trying to finish one thing before starting another. I guess I will have to rethink that strategy.

Ray

Ray, I have two or three things going all the time.  That way is I run into difficulty on one I can do something else while I think about it.  I have to change pretty often.

Thanks for the comments every one.  I hit my quota of "Likes" today so I couldn't let everyone know I liked their comment.  Why is there a quota?

Guess no one has tried the saw files I mentioned in my original post?

This is exactly why I do not use spiral blades.

"...now I am in the process of filing/sanding all the cuts to remove the spiral saw marks.  It is going to take me a long time!  I have about 1/3 of the top piece done..". 

Lesson learned, but they have their place in my book.  I just have to learn the whens and wheres of both.

Let me assure you, you are not alone in thinking that sanding is.... well I will probably violate the Terms and Conditions of using this site if I'm explicit. Be that as it may be, I  use these types of files/tools for sanding interior of scrolled projects post-18045-0-29547800-1431964649_thumb.jpgpost-18045-0-18355900-1431964676_thumb.jpg

Note the sand paper unit, just a small scrap of thin wood that uses double sided tape to hold on a slice of sandpaper. I have couple of these. I  also wrap sandpaper around round files and use that.

Love the project by the way.

Wow quite a project and you are doing beautifully.

Likes....Travis explained it way back about 90something posts ago.

And at that time he upped the quota.

May be a post somewhere about scroll files, I know nothing about them.

And last thing, Hans, does this sort of cutting all the time, bet he will like it.

Also I bet he would comment on the sanding....

Finer spirals ,good tension ,smaller stacks ,spirals bow easy and require much better control to achieves smoother cuts ,I personally think they are easier at least for me to control than constant spinning of work piece with a flat blade .Every thing has it's use's and ONE'S control of that gives them greater latatude to get the most out of any tool ! Practice fills you SKILL BAG!JMHO

Paul, I do fret work mostly, and I hardly ever have to do any amount of sanding. What I do is, I use the ultra scroll reverse blades to do the cuttings, I got them from Mike. After cutting out the subject, and depending on the frailness. I'll either remove the paper pattern before sanding, but, if the object is frail or, delicate, I'll leave the pattern on the wood while I sand it on the opposing side. I do this for the strength of the paper and the glue. Of course, this means that when your cutting out the pattern, it is good side down. Next I'll either sand or remove the pattern, depending on the frailness of it, you be the judge. I'll then do the sanding, and all I use to do most of my sanding is a detail sander. One of those types that use sanding pads that looks similar to a stretched triangle. Sometimes, I will lay an old towel under the object before sanding it. Like before you be the judge of how delicate the object is, and if you need a soft layer to protect what it is you cut out. I swear, I've never lost a cutting to sanding anything this way, and, I have often wondered why other people didn't sand their work this way. Presently, I'm using a no brand name detail sander, and I use 220 grit pads. Sanding this way is a lot like other things we attempt to do, it does take a bit of practicing. You will have to learn how much pressure to use, so you don't break something. And, it's good to learn what type of cutting should have the towel placed under it before sanding, not all pieces need the towel, but some do. I learned to do my finish sanding this way over the years, simply because I hated sanding my work by hand. Try this, it might solve your sanding troubles. I don't know how this will work if you use spiral blades, I only cut with flat blades. Ooops, I forgot to mention, I even use this method when sanding thin delicate fretwork ornaments, they are the ones that need the towel under them when sanding. Sorry for being so long winded, but, I had to be to get all of the info included.

Len

P.S. I have no experience with the sanders your talking about, I have looked at them, but didn't buy any.

Edited by Lucky2