Dewalt 788 blade tension

John10ey

Newbie here. On the 788 should there be much tensioning range for the blade. I think it's from 0 to 5 (or so), and I find that I'm just moving it to the most tension all the time. Not breaking any blades, and using from 3s to 7s. Is that OK or should I be more fine tuning the tension?

It seems to work. My off pattern cutting is more me than the machine.

Side note: mine came with a gooseneck light  but the neck would not hold the light in position. I cable tied it to the arm, leaving a few inches at the end. Works fine.

I always set it to the highest tension possible. Sometimes, if after setting the tension I feel it not tensioned enough, I will release the tension, push down on the upper arm. If there is any slack or bow in the blade I will release the bottom blade clamp while still pushing down on the upper arm to release the slack or bow and then tighten the blade clamp, then re tension.

I never break blades because of high tension, but break blades because of low tension.

I never look at the setting.  If the tension handle goes more than halfway easily I return it, release the top clamp and reset it higher in the clamp.  I check with the "ping" sound rather than any numerical setting.  It's my saw and my wife knows better than to tell me how to set the tension.  That's one of very few things I control.   :cry:   But I do it with gusto! :lol:  :cool:

Really the number scale is meaningless on the DW since there are no stops in the top or bottom blade holders to ensure you positioned the blade the same every time.  This is typical of many saws available today.  As the others said you have to go by sound and feel.  Just some general rules that I have found:

1. More tension is always better then less

2. Blade breaking is a symptom of not even tension

3. If the blade is hard to control or drifts a lot then increase tension

4. See number 1.

Edited by NC Scroller

Mine  is generally around 1.5,but i have lots of wear in  the machine and when i put the blade in i lift up on the blade to to erase any play in the arms before i tighten the blade clamp.I tighten the top arm last.I hold the blade with my thumb and index finger, Rest my middle finger on top of the top arm for leverage,raise the blade up and  tighten the thumb screw with my right  hand.

Edited by amazingkevin