Small sale today.

Jim Finn

I had a small sale today.  In an out of the way place, and not a whole lot of shoppers, but I did manage to sell fourteen cedar boxes with images inlaid into the hinged lids. I also sold a custom order for two more.  Not a whole lot of shoppers there but still well worth my effort.  I only took boxes with me today because it was an inside sale with only two six foot tables to display my stuff.  I left my wooden stars at home.  I have only one more show scheduled this year but I am still looking for any others that may pop up nearby.

I had a small sale today.  In an out of the way place, and not a whole lot of shoppers, but I did manage to sell fourteen cedar boxes with images inlaid into the hinged lids. I also sold a custom order for two more.  Not a whole lot of shoppers there but still well worth my effort.  I only took boxes with me today because it was an inside sale with only two six foot tables to display my stuff.  I left my wooden stars at home.  I have only one more show scheduled this year but I am still looking for any others that may pop up nearby.

No sales pitch needed Your art work sells them selves! Good for you! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks for the kind words. 

There were eleven other vendors there and I know I out sold them all.  Two of them were wood workers.  Mostly rustic stuff, which is popular here in West Texas, I think.  One guy had $100 items and one had a lot of over priced crosses, in my opinion.  I have found it hard to sell $100 items at a craft show, at least it had been for me when I used to try. Mostly cash sales for me.  only three credit sales this time. We were there for only four hours so all I brought with me were my boxes.

One of the vendors there, is a friend of mine that I give my scrap images from my inlays.  She uses them in some of her art work.(I am happy to help her get started doing sales like this). She is an artist and has finally figured out how to make smaller items in the $20 range.  She had a good day also.  Over $200 she said. 

My wife had a fairly good day also, selling her crocheted items.

The boxes are beautiful.

Prices?  Experience ,trial and error.

Seven years ago I started ,making small boxes from scraps I had.  I sold those plain boxes for $5.  Then I started making larger ones with hinged lids for $8 and I applied some cutouts to the surface.  I had success selling all of them so I got more serious in the manufacture of boxes and tried putting inlaid images on the lids.  I started charging $14 for these boxes and still sold a ton of them.  I then got a credit card machine and sold even more.  All along a friend of mine kept telling me to charge $20 but I resisted.  He suggested that I just try it with a few.  They sold just as fast as the $14 ones did.  Trial and error led me to this$20 price.  If I were in a more affluent area I might get more for my boxes.

I have about $2 in total materials in a box that takes me two hours to complete ready for sale.  I make them 10-20 at a time.  Even with my good sales numbers and relatively low price I still cannot sell them as fast as I can make them.  This is why I keep trying other items to make  I have plenty of time to experiment. I spend 30-40 hours a week in my work/play shop.

My selling season is almost over and I have about 200 boxes made and ready to sell.  Almost enough for all of next year.

I have a sale today and then 3 more I don't know if I will have enough for 3 more sales, My experiences this year is $450 and I have sold $600 so i am good  I have about $700 to sell at 4 shows I have gathered up every thing I could sell and I do have about 2 weeks to work in the shop.

• 5 weeks later...

Jim I'm a newbie to the group and pretty much a newbie to wood working. But I'm excited about your story. BTW I was once from that area Idalou and Petersburg is where my grandparents lived and I still have cousins in Lubbock so I'm very aware of your local economy. I appreciate your comments about your pricing but where do you purchase your cedar and other materials to keep your cost to $2.00 per box ? Another question have you ever done anything with mesquite? There seems to be an abundance of that I get from my families ranches outside of Dickens.

Thanks for any guidance,

David

Edited by dvickers

dvickers;

I get my cedar in Sanger TX at "woods of misson sawmill".  It is about 20 miles north of Denton.  They do not always have it there so I call ahead before making the five hour drive.  I buy it by the truckload.  I fill my pick-up with their culls and seconds (1"x6"x96") about once every 9-10 months.  I have to cut around some flaws but I get the cedar at a discount that way.  I just make small items so this is not a problem for me.  I resaw all the 1"x6" x96" rough cedar to 1/2 a board and plane to 3/8". when I have some that comes out a bit thinner I use it for bottoms of my boxes where it does not matter. My boxes use 6"x8" x3/8" top and bottom and 1 3/4" X 3/8"  for the sides. This uses about  1/3 of a board foot/box .  Hinges and screws I buy by the thousand, or more, so they cost me $.40 per box   .http://craft-inc.myshopify.com/products/l262-largel-decorative-hinge    is where I get them   About $.50 for inlayed basswood or maple (Bought locally). A little for glue and finish brings my cost to about $2.  Even double that ($4) would be ok.  I am not trying to earn a living doing woodwork.  I am just funding my hobby.

The little mesquite I run into I have used as an inlay material.  If I had more I would make the boxes of it.  It is sure a pretty wood and folks here like it.