Wider lines

tennman

:? Hi all..I have a maybe dumb question seems like I'm doing quite a few car designs lately is there any such thing as a blade that's maybe .035 wide and 30 or so thick fine tooth? normally  I use a 2/0 double skip to cut the lines and it will but then they're not wide enough to really see so I've been using a # 66 drill and then using the 2/0  making it wider so I can use a bigger blade to widen the lines,I tried using a radial blade..no way it will make you seasick looking at that, then I tried gluing 2 of the 2/0's together and it held for about a inch is there any such thing as a thicker blade ?I looked on the net but no good..or do any of you have a system for cutting wider lines? thanks

Google it !

:? Hi all..I have a maybe dumb question seems like I'm doing quite a few car designs lately is there any such thing as a blade that's maybe .035 wide and 30 or so thick fine tooth? normally  I use a 2/0 double skip to cut the lines and it will but then they're not wide enough to really see so I've been using a # 66 drill and then using the 2/0  making it wider so I can use a bigger blade to widen the lines,I tried using a radial blade..no way it will make you seasick looking at that, then I tried gluing 2 of the 2/0's together and it held for about a inch is there any such thing as a thicker blade ?I looked on the net but no good..or do any of you have a system for cutting wider lines? thanks

I am not sure what you mean by cutting wider lines. If you really need wider lines, and I assume you mean the final cut and not the lines on the pattern, than about all you can do would be to cut the original line than switch to a #2 or #3 spiral blade and retrace the cuts. The only really thick blade for a scrollsaw  is the "Iron Man" from FD but that will destroy what you are doing.

Erv 

1973 challenger R/T

This is what Iv'e been doing for some of the people in a local car club,I tried using the spiral blades but that didn't work I cant cut a smooth line with them.and they rip splinters off along the edges so I drill  a  # 66 hole and then widen it so I can use a bigger blade and sometimes I just run the wider blade backwards to widen it a little more but its still very time consuming doing it that way,it would be nice if I could get a thicker blade and just cut one line to begin with,the double cuts don't look as good as just one wide cut to me,I don't know if a #5 would do the job or not but I can try it and see..thanx for the input all.

If I were cutting that pattern I would definitely use spiral blades on all the interior lines.  Spirals take a little practice to get used to, but they are the best option I know of for doing lines like the ones in that pattern.  There is going to be more fuzzies on the back of the piece with a spiral blade as opposed to a flat blade, but you just have to sand or file them down.  The newer Flying Dutchman spiral blades seem to leave a lot less fuzzies than the older ones, at least in my opinion. 

I understand your problem as I too have experienced cutting lines that are almost too small to see. The spiral blade, as suggested above is a good alternative but I also understand your frustrations there as they are a different breed of blade and hard to for many to use. However, one suggestion above was to cut the piece and then go over it again with a spiral and then they are fairly easy to maneuver but you still need to cut very carefully. What kind and thickness of wood are you using to do this? That also determines what blades you can use safely on this.If I were cutting this piece and using, say 1/4 inch BB birch I would use a minimum of a #3 double tooth blade. The blade will help with cutting a wider line and it will guide and stay on the line easier too. If you are using  1/4 inch BB Birch I would cut  a scrap board of the same thickness, under your piece and stack cut it. You will find it will be a lot easier to cut. But first I would use a minimum #3 blade and make sure you have at least 1/4 inch of total board thickness to cut. You may PM me if you need anything further from me and i will be happy to help you more, if needed

Dick

heppnerguy