What to do with sawdust

breadstick

I make mine into fire starters you melt down a bunch of wax pour into a throe away foil pan (the kind you see at buffets round the holidays) dump the saw dust into it make it about an inch deep mix sawdust and wax all together let it harden then dump it out of the pan cut into 2x2 squares and wrap in a coffee filter and than sell them at a show for a buck or two... and they light quick you just place it in the fire pit or place and start your fire...

Idea is from youtube Ocala woodworking....  

Here is a thought although it will take some doing to make the press.  If you have a significant amount of sawdust and live in an area where you use a furnace to heat your house in the winter you could make starter logs like those Presto Logs sold in the stores. Mix a bit of paraffin wax with the sawdust and compress it into a log shape and it will make a homemade presto log.  It will take a little bit of experimentation to get the amount of paraffin wax to add to the saw dust correct.  You also could mix it with damp corn starch and make a log that way as well.  You could mix it with a little bit of fertilizer and dirt and make a potting soil.  You can use it to soak up oil spills,  You can "cook" it and make wood oil.  There are a lot of uses for it.  I know one person that makes methane gas with his sawdust and uses it to heat his shop in the winter.  Most of us however bag it up and to the landfill it goes.

DW

Between the scroll saw, table saw, miter saw, and planer I make a good amount of sawdust. I've been throwing some away and making some piles outside.  I'd like to find some sort of solution long term.  What do you guys do with the sawdust you make?

It's my understanding that hard woods especially cedar are great for lawns as a mulch spread over the top.I also heard that particle board ,plywood,mfd,pressed wood all have way to much glue in them and are not good for living things.I don't think anything will grow covered in this mix,so maybe as a weed retardant around trees it could be helpfull?

Edited by amazingkevin

To make the fire starters, I use egg crates. The paper mash type, after they set up I store them in a plastic bag. When going into the woods or fishing, I always grab a handful of them to take with me, you never know when you'll need one. I keep a baggie full of them in my truck, just in case I need them.

Len