I've been toying around with this question

ever since i started to scroll i could not bear to waste wood under a project when drilling to keep from poping out the bottom of the project wood.It makes for a clean pilot hole for blade threading and all.what it is is i.m asking is .I have two mini drill presses one for 1/16th drill bits and the other one is used for drum sanding.what i'm toying around with is if i take a piece of hard wood ,fasten it to the drill press and use that as a scrap piece that should prevent break out of the wood while drilling from above.I think because i don't change the bit it would last forever?what do you think?

Well Kevin, it will last longer, but, not forever. I have a piece of wood that I lay under anything I'm drilling, I move it around so that there's no chance of the wood getting a small blow-out from the drill passing through. I don't know if your idea will work or not, I suppose it could if you never move the press table, and as you suggested you always use the same sized drill bit. I use a backer when drilling, but, I still sand the back side of the cutting with an orbital sander before I begin cutting. I find that doing so, makes the piece of wood move more freely on the saw bed.

Len

Well Kevin, it will last longer, but, not forever. I have a piece of wood that I lay under anything I'm drilling, I move it around so that there's no chance of the wood getting a small blow-out from the drill passing through. I don't know if your idea will work or not, I suppose it could if you never move the press table, and as you suggested you always use the same sized drill bit. I use a backer when drilling, but, I still sand the back side of the cutting with an orbital sander before I begin cutting. I find that doing so, makes the piece of wood move more freely on the saw bed.

Len

Theoretically it sounds like a win win .I just don't want to keep moving the waste wood around looking for a fresh spot .With it stationary on the drill press i think that cures that .Were on the same page any way! Thanks!

If you use the same hole over and over you will get tear out even if you blade size remains the same. I have tried it. Yes there is less tear vs a big hole but you still have some. Like mentioned I always sand my backs before cutting.

Ok great this is the answer im looking for.Guess i'll need a sheet of ash on the drill press permanetly locked in position! thanks Buddy!

Kevin, I use scrap pieces of plywood as a sacrificial backer on my drill press.  My son-in-law went dumpster diving a few years ago and came home with tons of scrap plywood from a couple local cabinet shops.  I ended up with most of it.  It was mostly 1/2" thick stock, with one surface pre-finished.  I use the larger pieces for all sorts of things like jigs & such and invariably I end up with enough small pieces that I have plenty for use on the drill press.  Since I use my drill press for everything, I move the backer around for each hole.  The scrap piece still lasts pretty long.  I do the same thing with my Dremel drill press station that's used primarily for small entry holed for scrolling.  Find yourself some scrap that you don't get emotionally attached to and you won't worry about throwing it away.  :lol:

Kevin, I use scrap pieces of plywood as a sacrificial backer on my drill press.  My son-in-law went dumpster diving a few years ago and came home with tons of scrap plywood from a couple local cabinet shops.  I ended up with most of it.  It was mostly 1/2" thick stock, with one surface pre-finished.  I use the larger pieces for all sorts of things like jigs & such and invariably I end up with enough small pieces that I have plenty for use on the drill press.  Since I use my drill press for everything, I move the backer around for each hole.  The scrap piece still lasts pretty long.  I do the same thing with my Dremel drill press station that's used primarily for small entry holed for scrolling.  Find yourself some scrap that you don't get emotionally attached to and you won't worry about throwing it away.  :lol:

I've no room for any more wood right now,But I'll keep it in mind,thanks!

In my view you are not wasting a piece of wood.  You are putting it to good use.  I usually use scrap MDF for that, nice and flat.  I use a piece of 3/4 inch, when I get to many holes on one side I turn it over.  One piece lasts for a long long time.

Mdf is a good wood to use ,I haven't had any in years ,thanks for the reminder!

I repurposed one of the old white plastic cutting boards by cutting it into sections that fit my Dremel Drill Press Table. I use a little two sided tape to keep it from moving around on the Drill Press Table. It really lasts a long time.

Now this sounds good ,i have a butchers block i could use to ,that will take a beating!

After reading this thread I did an experiment while drilling a bunch of holes with my drill press today.  I taped a piece of 24 gauge sheet metal to a one inch thick pine that I clamped to my drill press table. When I drill through the wood  for my project and through the metal the tear out on the bottom of the hole is mostly gone.  Much better than when using wood.  I clamped everything in place and used the one hole in the metal over and over.

post-2247-0-97437400-1463513046_thumb.jpg

After reading this thread I did an experiment while drilling a bunch of holes with my drill press today.  I taped a piece of 24 gauge sheet metal to a one inch thick pine that I clamped to my drill press table. When I drill through the wood  for my project and through the metal the tear out on the bottom of the hole is mostly gone.  Much better than when using wood.  I clamped everything in place and used the one hole in the metal over and over.

attachicon.gifDrill press metal backing.jpg

your the man ! Not afraid to try anything .Good for you .That puts closure on this question properly .I'm ready for this now ,no wasted scrap wood now .Good job Jim.Your the thinking mans friend! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: