Pack of Dogs Is Growing...

Iguanadon

As recently mentioned I'm a relative newbie and been exploring and experimenting with various areas of interest and I think I've hit on what may be my "specialty"... which is currently my obsession... dog puzzles...

I've always been a dog person and my wife and I rescue all of our furry children from various shelters.  We are Australian Cattle Dog nuts with 3 of them.  When I saw this series of patterns I knew I had to try them.  For those not familiar, Harvey Byler has drawn patterns for approximately 175 dog breeds and many other animals such as cats, cows, birds, sharks, whales, sea turtles, etc.  They're available thru Woodenteddybearonline.com

I am using Poplar because I like how it cuts, I like the color variations and when coated with butcher block mineral oil/conditioner, I think they look nice.  They could of course be cut out of any type of wood.

I just received my recent order of 20 patterns and am working my way through them.  Each one takes me right at 1 hour to cut and oil.

Here are the beginnings of my pack... and to show my wide diversity... a sea critter.  ;-)

post-29379-0-11880000-1463664648_thumb.jpgpost-29379-0-74463300-1463664651_thumb.jpgpost-29379-0-97542800-1463664655_thumb.jpgpost-29379-0-90851200-1463664659_thumb.jpgpost-29379-0-95055300-1463664643_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iguanadon

I like and I have 2 of the greatest mutts rescued of course, one cat. One yellow canary my grand daughter wanted and now a green canary rescued and 2 parrot rescues one yellow orange Connor and one green ring neck.  I started doodling the Connor one day and need to dig that back out to finish the pattern.

I did some of the dinasor for the grand-kids but those patterns came out of one of the scroll magazine

Scott from one Scott to an another and from one NC resident to another well done.

While Poplar is easy to cut it dents easy.  That is a draw back.  For my puzzles I also like to use Ash, Walnut, and soft Maple. They are pretty easy to cut and do not dent up as easy.  You are not very far from Wilmington.  You can get all those woods at Anchor Harwoods. http://anchorhardwoods.com/

Edited by NC Scroller

Scott from one Scott to an another and from one NC resident to another well done.

While Poplar is easy to cut it dents easy.  That is a draw back.  For my puzzles I also like to use Ash, Walnut, and soft Maple. They are pretty easy to cut and do not dent up as easy.  You are not very far from Wilmington.  You can get all those woods at Anchor Harwoods. http://anchorhardwoods.com/

Hello Scott squared.  Good to hear from you.  I actually go to Anchor and go thru their "scrap" bin and pick up nice pieces of various woods for very cheap.  I haven't been in a couple of weeks since starting the dog puzzles in poplar though.

They look top notch and the Poplar certainly adds to their attraction.  I really love the sea turtle and I like that you painted his sea.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Marg

The sea turtle is a favorite of mine as well.  I made him a sea critter friend yesterday, a whale and I have a shark and a dolphin still to make.

http://screencast.com/t/zkfXvxx6IPQ

As recently mentioned I'm a relative newbie and been exploring and experimenting with various areas of interest and I think I've hit on what may be my "specialty"... which is currently my obsession... dog puzzles...

I've always been a dog person and my wife and I rescue all of our furry children from various shelters.  We are Australian Cattle Dog nuts with 3 of them.  When I saw this series of patterns I knew I had to try them.  For those not familiar, Harvey Byler has drawn patterns for approximately 175 dog breeds and many other animals such as cats, cows, birds, sharks, whales, sea turtles, etc.  They're available thru Woodenteddybearonline.com

I am using Poplar because I like how it cuts, I like the color variations and when coated with butcher block mineral oil/conditioner, I think they look nice.  They could of course be cut out of any type of wood.

I just received my recent order of 20 patterns and am working my way through them.  Each one takes me right at 1 hour to cut and oil.

Here are the beginnings of my pack... and to show my wide diversity... a sea critter.  ;-)

attachicon.gif20160519_090942.jpgattachicon.gif20160518_144925.jpgattachicon.gif20160515_155912 (1).jpgattachicon.gif20160415_180342.jpgattachicon.gif20160519_091809.jpg

with you love of puzzles,and my love useless trivia and am curious as to how many puzzles you've cut to date?Nice work

I like and I have 2 of the greatest mutts rescued of course, one cat. One yellow canary my grand daughter wanted and now a green canary rescued and 2 parrot rescues one yellow orange Connor and one green ring neck.  I started doodling the Connor one day and need to dig that back out to finish the pattern.

I did some of the dinasor for the grand-kids but those patterns came out of one of the scroll magazine

Show and tell ! :)

with you love of puzzles,and my love useless trivia and am curious as to how many puzzles you've cut to date?Nice work

That's a good question Kevin and I can only take a stab at a guess... If n = length of time cutting and x is the number of puzzles I made for my grand-daughter before my daughter said she had enough wood in their house and we add y which is the number of dino puzzles I made for the local elementary school and a handful for the local library play area... and z  the ones I've made that are in a local shop for sale... and now zz the dog puzzles that I've gone a bit nuts with... Then that is roughly 12 + 40 + 5 + 20 + 15

Somewhere approaching 100 it appears... Now I feel tired...