My first show - No bragging, just excited

Iguanadon

Quick background... Here in Carolina Beach we have a Farmers Market during the summer months.  Produce and food make up about 25% of the vendors and the rest are artisans, crafters, etc.  Well by the time I thought I might like to take part, the website said they were filled up for the season, no more applications being accepted.  I live 3 blocks from where it's held and I strolled down to it last week while folks were setting up their tents, etc.  I struck up a conversation with one of them, they pointed out the guy that runs it for the town and I introduced myself, showed some pictures of my dog puzzles and BOOM, he says he can fit me in starting next week.  GREAT!  Oh wait, I've never done any type of event, show, etc... I don't even have a tent!!  Well it was a fun week scrambling to get everything together, and things couldn't have worked out any better.  It runs from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays and in that 5 hours I sold 21 pieces.  Dog puzzles, dinosaur puzzles, sea critter puzzles... It was amazing.  I had told my wife that if I sold 5 I'd be happy and if I sold 10 I'd be ecstatic.  I'm doubly ecstatic.

I'll be there again next week and then every other week for the rest of the summer.  They limit each vendor to only 8-10 weeks, they like to rotate in and out.  I think that'll be a good thing because I only do this as a hobby and I have to make replacement items after each event.

Anyway, just wanted to share.  It was a great experience and met a lot of nice folks including other vendors as well as vacationers and residents.  Once I no longer have a full time day job, I'll enjoy doing this in retirement for sure.

A picture of my "booth" and as a refresher, snapshots of the items I make.

Oh, and it's funny how many people ask me what computer generated cutting machinery I use... "None, all hand-cut with a scroll saw, and here are the blades I use..."  Makes for a nice visual.  "Yep, one slip and I have scrap wood or kindling."  :-)

Iggy

post-29379-0-19532900-1465680003_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-69226600-1465680014_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-94856300-1465680024_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-34049100-1465680059_thumb.jpg

Nice looking set up.  One thing I would add if you do not have it there all ready is a business card so that they can get one of your cards and possible pass the word along about your work and how to contact you.  Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures of your stand.

DW

Edited by DWSUDEKUM

Nice looking set up.  One thing I would add if you do not have it there all ready is a business card so that they can get one of your cards and possible pass the word along about your work and how to contact you.  Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures of your stand.

DW

Thanks, business cards are on display and with each purchase I shrink wrap the item with a card stuck inside.  Interested in seeing what comes of "word of mouth" via email and Facebook page.

Great news Iggy.  I have my first stall coming up in a couple of weeks at a local Makers Market.  I was planning on having a little flip album of photos so people could see the saw and maybe some previous work etc but I like the idea of having a few blades to show them too.  I'll have the added advantage of being able to boast that I have to import them from America too!

Rob

Great news Iggy.  I have my first stall coming up in a couple of weeks at a local Makers Market.  I was planning on having a little flip album of photos so people could see the saw and maybe some previous work etc but I like the idea of having a few blades to show them too.  I'll have the added advantage of being able to boast that I have to import them from America too!

Rob

Import from America.Boy is that a rear statement around here Rob.

Edited by tonylumps

Congrats Scott. Now you have more money for more wood, blades, etc. If you have a smart phone check

into a square or other credit card devices. They are free and having one has boosted my sales a good 15%.

Can I ask what you are charging? A lot of rookies tend to under value their work.

With yesterday being my first show EVER, I was prepared to learn a lot of lessons and was prepared to be overwhelmed with things I hadn't thought of, but it all went incredibly smooth.  I had looked into Square in case I did get a lot of "Oh sorry, I don't have cash." but that didn't come up once, so I'll hold off on that for now.  Vacationers tend to have cash on hand as a general rule.

As far as pricing, I charge $25 for the dog and sea critters and $20 for the dinosaurs.  And on my pricing sign, as well as mentioned when people ask the price, $5 of each sale is going to a dog rescue that my wife and I are associated with.  So, I'm clearing $20 and $15 respectively.  Based on the pricing of items at other booths I feel in line and nobody balked at the price.

My goal isn't to make a ton of money (I still have a good paying day job), it really is to drum up business so I can cut more puzzles, I simply enjoy doing it.  I of course have some start-up costs that I'd like to recoup and then just be able to pay for the hobby and yesterday was a nice start.  Next week I may only sell 2 items, and I'm prepared for that.

Rob

Good idea about the flip album.  I did take one snapshot with me to show folks along with the blades

http://content.screencast.com/users/Iguanadon/folders/Jing/media/d48d3e8f-3f5c-4291-a167-195fcf17599f/2016-06-12_0654.png

I was thinking of having that photo blown up and turned into a banner with a message saying something simple like  "Every Item Is HAND-CUT"

After the first couple of folks asked what machine I was using, I made sure to start off my little pitch with "I have over 175 dog breeds to choose from and each one is individually hand-cut."

:thumbs:  :thumbs: Scott, looks like you hit the ground running !....Glad to see that worked out for you.....One of these weekend old Scrolling Steve will stop by that booth.

I look forward to it Steve.  I'll be there this coming Saturday again, but then it's a staggered schedule, pretty much every other Saturday, so be sure to touch base with me before you trek down here to be sure it's one of my weeks.

Nice work on everything. Love your quick setup. What size blade are you using those puzzles.

Thanks.  I'm working on making a display that will hold the dogs upright.  I created some quick, simple stands for the first week and now that I learned how windy it can get coming off the small lake where the event is held, I need something a bit more substantial.

I make the dogs and sea critters out of poplar and I use a #5 to cut the outline and then switch to a #3 for the individual piece cuts. I then finish the item using butcher block mineral oil/conditioner.

The dinosaurs I use pine and a #7 blade and then dunk each piece in watered down non-toxic paint and wipe off the excess.

Edited by Iguanadon

As far as pricing, I charge $25 for the dog and sea critters and $20 for the dinosaurs.  And on my pricing sign, as well as mentioned when people ask the price, $5 of each sale is going to a dog rescue that my wife and I are associated with.  So, I'm clearing $20 and $15 respectively.  Based on the pricing of items at other booths I feel in line and nobody balked at the price.

Good job on the pricing. That is what I sell my like items for.

Next time you get to Anchor Hardwoods pick up some walnut. People like choices. Though you might pay $20 for a piece of walnut you will get 10+ puzzles. Not a bad ROI.

Quick background... Here in Carolina Beach we have a Farmers Market during the summer months.  Produce and food make up about 25% of the vendors and the rest are artisans, crafters, etc.  Well by the time I thought I might like to take part, the website said they were filled up for the season, no more applications being accepted.  I live 3 blocks from where it's held and I strolled down to it last week while folks were setting up their tents, etc.  I struck up a conversation with one of them, they pointed out the guy that runs it for the town and I introduced myself, showed some pictures of my dog puzzles and BOOM, he says he can fit me in starting next week.  GREAT!  Oh wait, I've never done any type of event, show, etc... I don't even have a tent!!  Well it was a fun week scrambling to get everything together, and things couldn't have worked out any better.  It runs from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays and in that 5 hours I sold 21 pieces.  Dog puzzles, dinosaur puzzles, sea critter puzzles... It was amazing.  I had told my wife that if I sold 5 I'd be happy and if I sold 10 I'd be ecstatic.  I'm doubly ecstatic.

I'll be there again next week and then every other week for the rest of the summer.  They limit each vendor to only 8-10 weeks, they like to rotate in and out.  I think that'll be a good thing because I only do this as a hobby and I have to make replacement items after each event.

Anyway, just wanted to share.  It was a great experience and met a lot of nice folks including other vendors as well as vacationers and residents.  Once I no longer have a full time day job, I'll enjoy doing this in retirement for sure.

A picture of my "booth" and as a refresher, snapshots of the items I make.

Oh, and it's funny how many people ask me what computer generated cutting machinery I use... "None, all hand-cut with a scroll saw, and here are the blades I use..."  Makes for a nice visual.  "Yep, one slip and I have scrap wood or kindling."  :-)

Iggy

Hot off the griddle so to speak! Here you are a newbie and already your a professional.Websters dictionary says that a pperson who gets paid for what they do is a professional! Good for you,laugh all the way to the bank now!you've really takinoff with jet fuel with your scrolling.Look at all the happy customers you've made AND they will be back!I'm going to keep my eyes on your progress .Your going to be a real asset to the club !

Hot off the griddle so to speak! Here you are a newbie and already your a professional.Websters dictionary says that a pperson who gets paid for what they do is a professional! Good for you,laugh all the way to the bank now!you've really takinoff with jet fuel with your scrolling.Look at all the happy customers you've made AND they will be back!I'm going to keep my eyes on your progress .Your going to be a real asset to the club !

Kevin, we'll call me a "minor league professional".  Single A ball for now.  ;-)

P.S. - I just built a stair step shelving "thing" to display the dogs in a standing position and the wind won't knock them over.  As soon as I spray paint it later or tomorrow I'll share pics.

Good job on the pricing. That is what I sell my like items for.

Next time you get to Anchor Hardwoods pick up some walnut. People like choices. Though you might pay $20 for a piece of walnut you will get 10+ puzzles. Not a bad ROI.

Thanks for the feedback on the pricing.  I almost went with $30 instead of $25 but didn't want to stretch it.  My cost per item is less than $3.  I have some start-up costs to recoup which should be covered if I have about 3 more weeks like this, then I'm riding the gravy train. Haha.