Music is my life

vykus

My latest. I finished the cutting quite a while ago, and learned a lesson about cutting carefully because I had to do a ton of sanding to the many exposed interior cuts. After the sanding was done we had a heat wave here in Wisconsin with incredibly high humidity so it had to sit and wait to have a finish applied which I was finally able to do this weekend. The front is made out of Honey Locus, it has a nice color but it pretty hard and difficult to work with. the backer board it 1/2 in walnut which I cut 1/4 in larger in all directions and then rounded over. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I just have to let it cure for a few days and put some hooks on and its good to go. One question, should I leave the back as raw wood or put a coat of poly on that too?

Matt  

post-18630-0-68998700-1469987711_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-52321100-1469987778_thumb.jpg

post-18630-0-13624900-1469987837_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your photo of this project and sharing your specific experience with it. I had Sen. This pattern on Steve Good's site not long ago when he shared it and saved it to maybe do sometime. I have a sister-in-law and her husband who are both professional musicians who I thought would like this project. I will eventually get brave and give it a go perhaps. I will try to remember your advice about it. Thanks for sharing.

It came out great Matt! Glad you went with the Walnut backer.

You should always finish the back side of your projects with the Same finish and amount of coats. Even with a finish, wood will absorb moisture. With equal finish on front and back, you will minimize the chance of the piece warping.

Matt, it's a nice looking cutting, you did a great job. As to finishing the backer, I always finish my backer pieces with a clear poly. In this case I think you should finish the backer, it will darken it giving you a better contrast between the two types of wood.

Len

My latest. I finished the cutting quite a while ago, and learned a lesson about cutting carefully because I had to do a ton of sanding to the many exposed interior cuts. After the sanding was done we had a heat wave here in Wisconsin with incredibly high humidity so it had to sit and wait to have a finish applied which I was finally able to do this weekend. The front is made out of Honey Locus, it has a nice color but it pretty hard and difficult to work with. the backer board it 1/2 in walnut which I cut 1/4 in larger in all directions and then rounded over. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I just have to let it cure for a few days and put some hooks on and its good to go. One question, should I leave the back as raw wood or put a coat of poly on that too?

Matt  

Mr.Matt,Very flowing project,Smooth as silk! Love the wood you chose.I guess to answer your question ,well wood finishes were made to enhance the beauty of the wood

Don,

I used a No. 7 UR on most of it, that kept the lines from wandering. I used a No. 5 and 3 UR on the lettering. 

The 5's and 7's were Olson's and the 3's were FD.  Gotta use what I can afford at the time. If I could, I'd use FD all the time, but I usually don't have large amounts of cash do dish out at once so I spend $5 a pack for Olson's as I need them. 

Edited by vykus