5 star experience with a wood vender

Old Joe

I hope I'm not breaking any rules on sharing an experience I had while purchasing wood from an on-line vender. As many of you know I like to make vases with a test tube sandwiched in the middle. If I can get 1", or 4/4 wood for that middle piece it makes for a nicer finished product, not to mention easier for me. Not nominal 1", but actual 1" thick. So I've been thrilled with the 1/4, 1/8, etc wood that I've been getting from this company but their scroll saw wood selection on-line only goes to 3/4" I called yesterday and asked if they could get me 1" and if so,  at what price and what varieties? Here's what I was told: Yes, they could get me 1" but if it had to be sanded on both sides and exactly 1" they would have to mostly plane it from 2" stock and the price would be higher. But, if I could live with 15/16" they could supply it in every variety that they carry, at the same price as the 3/4" on their price list. I can actually deal with anything 7/8" or over. I thought it was great to find a company that was accommodating,pleasant, with great customer service, and a terrific product line. I'll be ordering a lot of my wood from Ocooch Hardwoods. 

Edited by Old Joe

I have been buying from Ocooch since I started this great hobby.In the begining I thought there prices were high.So I started looking around.Everybody else was a crap shoot.Bowed ,warped, split.Never had a bad piece of wood from Ocooch.So now I stick with them unless i need a piece of lumber that they do not carry.

I have been buying from Ocooch since I started this great hobby.In the begining I thought there prices were high.So I started looking around.Everybody else was a crap shoot.Bowed ,warped, split.Never had a bad piece of wood from Ocooch.So now I stick with them unless i need a piece of lumber that they do not carry.

For the work we put into this stuff I don't mind paying somewhat of a premium for good material. Quality isn't expensive, it's priceless, especially when accompanied with friendly,knowledgeable customer service.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules on sharing an experience I had while purchasing wood from an on-line vender. As many of you know I like to make vases with a test tube sandwiched in the middle. If I can get 1", or 4/4 wood for that middle piece it makes for a nicer finished product, not to mention easier for me. Not nominal 1", but actual 1" thick. So I've been thrilled with the 1/4, 1/8, etc wood that I've been getting from this company but their scroll saw wood selection on-line only goes to 3/4" I called yesterday and asked if they could get me 1" and if so,  at what price and what varieties? Here's what I was told: Yes, they could get me 1" but if it had to be sanded on both sides and exactly 1" they would have to mostly plane it from 2" stock and the price would be higher. But, if I could live with 15/16" they could supply it in every variety that they carry, at the same price as the 3/4" on their price list. I can actually deal with anything 7/8" or over. I thought it was great to find a company that was accommodating,pleasant, with great customer service, and a terrific product line. I'll be ordering a lot of my wood from Ocooch Hardwoods. 

I was offered a tour of a famous wood sellers stock one day , i had to turn it down as i'd be a kid in a candy store looking at such a variety of colors ,smells and types.