!0 more to go and i still have my fingers

amazingkevin

I hate this part of the job .but i can't see giving the $6.00 a foot for wood i have .I just need to cut it down and plane it to 1/8".the 10" table saw was slow go cutting 1.5"x 8"x12" aromatic cedar.My fingers were so  close to the blade,I was ready to snatch them away at any second .But things went good.She wants 10 more napkin holders soon for a contest.I'm trying to get it all done by Monday so the lumber money can go in my pocket.post-1607-0-72038600-1472876482_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-47716500-1472876496_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-23288000-1472876509_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-55572000-1472876522_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-53923200-1472875565_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-42044300-1472875589_thumb.jpg And then my neighbor shows up and needs his newest find and wants a new bottom put on it.He wanted poplar but i could not find any that wide here in my shop.What ever i found needs to be aged,i rounded the edges and planned it down to 3/8".The coffee grinder itself needed to be snugged up the handle where it goes into the box,Now it will grind java beans.Some one had it at a yard sale for $20.00 .I cleaned it all up,Put a new bottom on it,Removed the old one and Google it to find out anything about it ,age ,value.I couldn't find the age but there are plenty on the net for $14.00 on up to $129.00post-1607-0-55773200-1472877004_thumb.pngpost-1607-0-45430600-1472875771_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-87086500-1472876341_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-19731900-1472876356_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-25061500-1472876375_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-01222300-1472876391_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-67725400-1472876407_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-46018100-1472876422_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-75982700-1472876445_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-53728500-1472876463_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-23288000-1472876509_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-55572000-1472876522_thumb.jpg

post-1607-0-71114500-1472875746_thumb.jpg

Edited by amazingkevin

IMHO...you are making a huge mistake and admitted it. You were in a hurry, did not want to spend money and "My fingernails so close to the blade..."

You can not snatch your fingers away fast enough. You knew it was unsafe and continued. When you have that unsafe feeling it is time to stop and figure out how to do it safely.

I simply do not understand why you take the risks knowing that it was not safe. It is really a bad example. Sorry, I appreciate the hard work you do but not this time.

Please be careful with tools like the table saw and work safely.

Good job Kevin, like they say keep your fingers! Apparently you do use a fence on your table saw, if you use a band saw, you could use a fence on that too. I've tried it a little bit, believe it would be better than using a table saw, jmho.

Yes i have a fence but i wish it were about 10" tall so the wood gets cut plumbThanks friend

IMHO...you are making a huge mistake and admitted it. You were in a hurry, did not want to spend money and "My fingernails so close to the blade..."

You can not snatch your fingers away fast enough. You knew it was unsafe and continued. When you have that unsafe feeling it is time to stop and figure out how to do it safely.

I simply do not understand why you take the risks knowing that it was not safe. It is really a bad example. Sorry, I appreciate the hard work you do but not this time.

Please be careful with tools like the table saw and work safely.

I wish iknew a safer way ,I dread using the ban saw an table saw

I think you need to figure a safer way. Show a picture here of what you are doing without the table saw on and maybe someone will provide a safe suggestion. Just doing it the way you described is not good. I hope I never log on here and find out you have amputated a finger or hurt your hand with a kick back. With your description, it could happen.

I worked more than 40 years in an extremely dangerous industrial environment and safety was always the topic. If you could not do a job safely, the work was stopped until we figured it out. We were responsible for watching out for each other. In your case, if you were doing it as you described, we would have stopped the work. If you continued to do it, you would have been taken off the job.

I apologize for the rant but I have seen too many accidents which could have been prevented and I would like to prevent Kevin from having one.

I think you need to figure a safer way. Show a picture here of what you are doing without the table saw on and maybe someone will provide a safe suggestion. Just doing it the way you described is not good. I hope I never log on here and find out you have amputated a finger or hurt your hand with a kick back. With your description, it could happen.

I worked more than 40 years in an extremely dangerous industrial environment and safety was always the topic. If you could not do a job safely, the work was stopped until we figured it out. We were responsible for watching out for each other. In your case, if you were doing it as you described, we would have stopped the work. If you continued to do it, you would have been taken off the job.

I apologize for the rant but I have seen too many accidents which could have been prevented and I would like to prevent Kevin from having one.

i need a jig to hold the wood in one position all the way thru the cut.that will save fingers,I'm cutting 1.25 aro matic cedar 12" long .I'm trying to get a 3/8" piece and plan it own to 1.8".

Yes i have a fence but i wish it were about 10" tall so the wood gets cut plumbThanks friend

Kevin,

Attach a tall board to your saw fence. It can be as high as you need it. If really high, add some brackets behind the fence to keep it vertical. Don't risk your fingers doing any woodworking. Make a push block to keep your fingers away from the blade. 

When I was first taught to use a power saw (table saw, band saw, etc). I was taught the 6" rule. To never allow my hands and fingers to come within 6" of the spinning blade and never to reach over the saw blade when it was running. To always stop and find a safer way. I was taught this at age 8. I'm 74 now and I have never cut, or even nicked, myself with a power saw.

In fact, it took me a long time to be able to mentally get myself to accept using a Grripper, because using it put my hand less than 2" above the spinning blade, but I've managed to get past this and have mentally modified the rule to allow using the Grripper as a safe pushing method when used properly. For added safety, a Grripper is made from a plastic that gives off a very unusual and strong odor the instant that the blade begins cutting into it. After the first time that this happens, your nose will stop you from going further.

Charley

Kevin,

Attach a tall board to your saw fence. It can be as high as you need it. If really high, add some brackets behind the fence to keep it vertical. Don't risk your fingers doing any woodworking. Make a push block to keep your fingers away from the blade. 

When I was first taught to use a power saw (table saw, band saw, etc). I was taught the 6" rule. To never allow my hands and fingers to come within 6" of the spinning blade and never to reach over the saw blade when it was running. To always stop and find a safer way. I was taught this at age 8. I'm 74 now and I have never cut, or even nicked, myself with a power saw.

In fact, it took me a long time to be able to mentally get myself to accept using a Grripper, because using it put my hand less than 2" above the spinning blade, but I've managed to get past this and have mentally modified the rule to allow using the Grripper as a safe pushing method when used properly. For added safety, a Grripper is made from a plastic that gives off a very unusual and strong odor the instant that the blade begins cutting into it. After the first time that this happens, your nose will stop you from going further.

Charley

Im getting to comfortable resawing the cedar an i know an accident is inevitable Got to look into the micro jig or something else quick.thhanks