Pike Jewlers Blades

Rockytime

I use these type of blades all the time in the excalibur to cut coins, My site isn't set up all the way yet, but it it far enough to see some of my work.  http://www.coincutting.com.  I have used all the way up to 8/0 (of another brand), but I prefer the control of the 2/0 to 4/0 blades, and have been using Pike 3/0 a lot lately.

I also cut a few coins a month using the handframe, but for detail work, I'm convinced the scroll saw is the better tool. Many would disagree with that, without ever testing that assertion.

I use these type of blades all the time in the excalibur to cut coins, My site isn't set up all the way yet, but it it far enough to see some of my work.  http://www.coincutting.com.  I have used all the way up to 8/0 (of another brand), but I prefer the control of the 2/0 to 4/0 blades, and have been using Pike 3/0 a lot lately.

I also cut a few coins a month using the handframe, but for detail work, I'm convinced the scroll saw is the better tool. Many would disagree with that, without ever testing that assertion.

Your work is awesome. The humming bird is the one I like best.

Yes those are very good quality blades and are indeed made for a scrollsaw. If you cut quarters have you ever cut a quarter in half??  I bet you have not :) Slice a quarter in half using a scrollsaw. Now that is a challenge few will accept.  ;)

Yeah, I like a challenge, and can easily cut a line down the width of a quarter, and could hold it with a jig, but the problem with splitting a quarter is that the thicker the metal, the harder it is to cut.  So, don't think that one is possible for me anyway.

There is an industrial machine that cuts with a small wire/electricity and can cut 4" and greater steel with precision.  The techology is called "EDM", which could split a quarter with ease.  If I had a couple of million dollars (or whatever they cost), might be fun to play with:

Edited by hotshot

Well Randy, I belong to a pen turning group called IAP. Maybe you have heard of it. There is a fellow there that cut coins also and he too is very good at what he does. He then actually thins the coin and bends it to wrap around a pen tube and then casts in clear resin. He makes some great looking pens. We got into a discussion on how to thin quarters. He would not disclose his secret. So I answered one of the other posters with the 3 ways I know of thinning them. Sanding on a belt sander, turning them down on a lathe or cutting them in half with a scrollsaw. Well as you I got of negative nay sayers on the scrollsaw ideas and even the guy who cuts the coins challenged me to show them. I told him if I did it he would have to make me a NJ quarter pen blank. I told him I would send him one of my copper braided pen tubes and he would add the quarter and I would cast and spin down and finish. He agreed. Well here are the results. It took me 5 #2/0 jewelers blades to cut that quarter and the material is harder than it looks.  

CopyofIMGP0799.jpg

CopyofIMGP0802.jpg

As mentioned he was a man of his word and here is the pen I wound up with. 

CopyofIMGP0808.jpg

CopyofIMGP0812.jpg

Well as you I got of negative nay sayers on the scrollsaw ideas and even the guy who cuts the coins challenged me to show them.

Impressive!  I did try this, as I suspected, the deeper I went, the slower it got.  I got about 1/3 way through before it just stalled, went through countless blades with little progress, and eventually it came out the side.  I suspect If I cut a little, then rotate the coin, I could keep the depth of cut smaller, and perhaps make it work.  That was fun, now back to work.

post-1770-0-72950600-1473110959_thumb.jpg

post-1770-0-45167600-1473114209_thumb.jpg

Edited by hotshot

I use jewelers blades almost for everything.  i cut 1/8" baltic birch no the slowest speed.  my standard blade is the 2/0 but will use 3/0 for tinier detailed stuff.

any smaller and they will break too easily.

The leave a nice top but a rough back so i will cut the piece out and then have to sand the back if it is going to show.  its worth it though for the precision of them.

Wow that beautiful. Wish I were that good, maybe someday with lots of practice.

Thank you. Have been doing this for over 30 years. The wood on that project is RedHeart and the brass is a soild polished brass door guard purchased from home depot. The bottom steps have red stained glass in the openings. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2016 at 8:31 AM, hotshot said:

Yeah, I like a challenge, and can easily cut a line down the width of a quarter, and could hold it with a jig, but the problem with splitting a quarter is that the thicker the metal, the harder it is to cut.  So, don't think that one is possible for me anyway.

There is an industrial machine that cuts with a small wire/electricity and can cut 4" and greater steel with precision.  The techology is called "EDM", which could split a quarter with ease.  If I had a couple of million dollars (or whatever they cost), might be fun to play with:

Wow! I realize this has been up for almost 2 years but I just ran across it. Thanks for posting. Very fascinating to watch.

On 9/5/2016 at 9:08 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Well Randy, I belong to a pen turning group called IAP. Maybe you have heard of it. There is a fellow there that cut coins also and he too is very good at what he does. He then actually thins the coin and bends it to wrap around a pen tube and then casts in clear resin. He makes some great looking pens. We got into a discussion on how to thin quarters. He would not disclose his secret. So I answered one of the other posters with the 3 ways I know of thinning them. Sanding on a belt sander, turning them down on a lathe or cutting them in half with a scrollsaw. Well as you I got of negative nay sayers on the scrollsaw ideas and even the guy who cuts the coins challenged me to show them. I told him if I did it he would have to make me a NJ quarter pen blank. I told him I would send him one of my copper braided pen tubes and he would add the quarter and I would cast and spin down and finish. He agreed. Well here are the results. It took me 5 #2/0 jewelers blades to cut that quarter and the material is harder than it looks.  

CopyofIMGP0799.jpg

CopyofIMGP0802.jpg

As mentioned he was a man of his word and here is the pen I wound up with. 

CopyofIMGP0808.jpg

CopyofIMGP0812.jpg

That's downright awesome. Thanks for posting.

Ray thanks. I have been doing this for quite some time and have scrolled my share of projects. Working with a lathe now and then I am trying different things there. I love making pens and have a ton of ideas for them. Sometimes I combine both hobbies. Hope I have a few more years left in me to get some ideas done.