Boat Lamp & other Lamps...

realfEZ

Thanks Linda and Christina! My pleasure.

I know there's genetics in that, but my kids love everything I come home with at the end of the day. :lol:

Here my recipe for the screen thing.

To make Gauzed Paper you'll need :

- Ordinary printing paper - I use A4 80 gr/m².

- Some gauze compresses.

- Clear wood varnish.

- A Flat brush.

Put the gauze on the paper, then apply the varnish abundantly on the gauze enough to impregnate the paper which should become translucent liked oiled paper.

The gauze having a very loose weave, you'll need to straighten the weft to have nice squares. You can do that gently with the brush. Let dry 24 hours. Once dry the oily effect should disappear. Stick to the panel with the gauze on the light bulb side. As a result you'll get a very strong, translucent, squared paper.

You have more possibilities by using tints in the varnish.

I will soon try laser printed paper (with small ornamental motifs, or any image) It should work too.

Et voilà!

PS : @ industrialists : If you think you can make money out of this, I'd be happy with 49%. :rofl:

fEZ.

:shock: Wow. That's brilliant! Did you come up with the process yourself? That is soooooo cool. Do you hang the paper to dry? Does the gauze add to the texture, or do you use it for strength? I'm imagining it looks a lot like rice paper. I just happened to buy some clear polycrylic last weekend. Now I gotta find some gauze. Hrmmmm. Thanks for sharing your secrets. Don't worry, I won't tell anybody! ;)

My pleasure Clayton, Fran and Paul.

Well Travis, it's been one of those simple ideas that take time to spring up, after trying glass, plexy, textile, all sorts of paper. I personally am very satisfied with this "composite's" properties.

What gauze adds to the texture is a square pattern that's not quiet regular nor geometrical, but rather like an organic tissue. The paper alone is less resistant and becomes more brittle than it is, when associated to gauze.

I've tested it over night with a 40W bulb, and didn't notice any distortion or change in colour.

I couldn't tell how close to rice paper is this material for I've never seen any. :oops:

@ Fran : I use an ordinary 40W B type Bulb (flame shaped) socket. :idea:

Be well,

fEZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Travis,

Yes I do use slot things(?) to slide the panels in. The plywood I use is too thin and of a very poor in quality for it to stand any bevelling or so.

Here are two more (will I ever get out of my parallelepipedic period... if there's a way in, there should be a way out :? )

[attachment=1]LampSpades40pc.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]LampWithFeet.jpg[/attachment]

fEZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh thanks Travis!

Here's a variation on the theme of boat lamps.

Just more paint on it really...

This one went to good friend Ibrahim for his first baby. Might help during long long cries nights to come! :D

Pattern is in the gallery...

fEZ.

[attachment=0]BoatLampIIOn.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]BoatLampIIOff.jpg[/attachment]

Another great set! I love them! Could you do me a favor next time you put together some lamps? I would love to see progression pictures as you put one together. You can put them in the Works In Progress/Tutorials forum. You do such a nice job with those lamps, it would be fun to see how you do it. (We're after your secrets. :lol:;) )