Comprehensive List of DW788 Replacement Bearings

Iguanadon

Hello SSV Friends,

Those of you that are familiar with and do your own repairs and maintenance on DW788's, I was hoping that I could get a complete list of all of the bearings and/or sleeves, etc that could possibly be needed when tearing down a saw to either lubricate or replace parts as needed.  As well as where to order them from.  Exact part numbers would be appreciated.

I've read a few posts about various places to get them from, matching up numbers, sizes, etc and I hope that some of my friends here will share your experience and knowledge in order to not only save me a little bit of time, but to save me from ordering the wrong things or buying inferior parts.

I don't mind paying a little extra for higher quality, so please let me know the best place and best brands to buy.

I'd rather have too many extra parts on hand than to get 80% through the process only to find out there was one bearing or sleeve that I don't have on hand.  So, don't hold back on the list.  If you've experienced having to replace something, add it to the list so I'll have it on hand. I now have two DW's and I plan on watching the You Tube videos to learn how to tear down and maintain/repair them.  I need to do one right now so that I have a backup saw ready when needed.

And if anyone in the North Carolina area is willing to take on a student, I'd be willing to come to you and spend a part of a day learning from you via hands-on experience.

Thank you very much in advance!

Iggy

Iggy,

The two links will give you the bearing numbers and a whole lot more. The Dw788 repair video is also included.   I have them saved on my computer under DeWalt Bearings so I can find them when needed.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/16873-dw788-service/?hl=788

Post #8

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/10407-dw-788-bearings/

Post #2

Larry

Hello SSV Friends,

Those of you that are familiar with and do your own repairs and maintenance on DW788's, I was hoping that I could get a complete list of all of the bearings and/or sleeves, etc that could possibly be needed when tearing down a saw to either lubricate or replace parts as needed.  As well as where to order them from.  Exact part numbers would be appreciated.

I've read a few posts about various places to get them from, matching up numbers, sizes, etc and I hope that some of my friends here will share your experience and knowledge in order to not only save me a little bit of time, but to save me from ordering the wrong things or buying inferior parts.

I don't mind paying a little extra for higher quality, so please let me know the best place and best brands to buy.

I'd rather have too many extra parts on hand than to get 80% through the process only to find out there was one bearing or sleeve that I don't have on hand.  So, don't hold back on the list.  If you've experienced having to replace something, add it to the list so I'll have it on hand. I now have two DW's and I plan on watching the You Tube videos to learn how to tear down and maintain/repair them.  I need to do one right now so that I have a backup saw ready when needed.

And if anyone in the North Carolina area is willing to take on a student, I'd be willing to come to you and spend a part of a day learning from you via hands-on experience.

Iggy

What "Just Larry" just posted will give you every thing you need to know. Those are long videos but well worth your time. 

Hello SSV Friends,

Iggy

I should invest in some new bearings,as all my 7 machines need them.

Thanks everyone,

Although no exact numbers of all sleeves seem to be mentioned anywhere, I'll piece things together, order what I think I'll need and will update with my wonderful adventure as I try tearing down one of my saws and hopefully getting it back together... with no extra pieces remaining.  ;-)

So far, this is what I was able to gather from your combined help:

From vxb.com - Bearings

HK0810 - 3 each

HK1412 - 2 each

HK0609 - 12 each

From servicenet.dewalt.com - Sleeves

286294-00 - Short Sleeve - Qty 8

286295-00 - Long Sleve - Qty 2

286430-00 - Drive Link Sleeve - Qty 4

286282-00 - Pivot Rod - Qty 1

I have a bearing press if needed and grease on hand.  I just ordered all the parts and will set aside a day to dive into it.

If anyone else has any thoughts or insight, I'd appreciate hearing from ya.

Iggy

UPDATE:  On the servicenet.dewalt.com site, it tells you how many of each part are in the saw. So I updated the number of sleeves above accordingly.

I realize I won't need to replace every bearing and every sleeve, but I'd rather have them on-hand and not need them rather than to need them and not have them.  I'm sure over the years I'll use most of them as I perform maintenance on my two saws as needed.

Edited by Iguanadon

Very helpful...  https://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=DW788&selectedType=21612

Near the top, on the right are links to EXPLODED ART, two of them, with diagrams and detailed lists of all the parts and quantities within the saw.

I encourage all DW788 owners to save the link.  I saved it and I even printed off all 11 pages.  I'll be ready to open my own repair shop by the time I go through this exercise.  ;-)

Very helpful...  https://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=DW788&selectedType=21612

Near the top, on the right are links to EXPLODED ART, two of them, with diagrams and detailed lists of all the parts and quantities within the saw.

I encourage all DW788 owners to save the link.  I saved it and I even printed off all 11 pages.  I'll be ready to open my own repair shop by the time I go through this exercise.  ;-)

It's been a while since I watched the You Tube video but it seems the guy said if you have the numbers for the bearings and races the company he mentioned could cross reference them. He said that the bearing and races were of better quality than what came in the saw. That would mean a longer time between repairs. Also if it were me I would replace every thing so you wouldn't have to fix it again.  Just saying.

It's been a while since I watched the You Tube video but it seems the guy said if you have the numbers for the bearings and races the company he mentioned could cross reference them. He said that the bearing and races were of better quality than what came in the saw. That would mean a longer time between repairs. Also if it were me I would replace every thing so you wouldn't have to fix it again.  Just saying.

Yeah, thanks, I ordered bearings from VXB, higher quality.  Once I crack this machine open, I'll see what things look like.  The saw has 6 months of heavy use (18 months total use) and was starting to make noises.  Maybe just grease the bearings and replace a couple of sleeves.  We'll see.  

I look forward to getting familiar with it and being able to perform maintenance on both of them on a rotating basis.

You may also want to read my previous post regarding bearings, and lubrication. http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/21715-bearing-part-numbers-and-service-tips-for-the-dewalt-788/#entry228942      although Iggy's list of bearing numbers seems more complete than mine.. Don't buy bearings from DeWalt or eremplacementparts.com. Find a "bearing" or "power transmission"  store in a big city near you and take the list with you. Ask the counter person to provide "better quality bearings" than those on the list,  if he can. It may cost a bit more, but you will still come out much cheaper that buying from DeWalt or ereplacementparts.com, and you will have better bearings than the ones that originally came with the 788, so they should last much longer. DeWalt used cheap bearings when building these saws to keep the price down. If you buy new better bearings from a bearing store you will get much better bearings for less total cost than those from DeWalt and ereplacementparts.com because they will be selling you the same cheap bearings that were used to build the saw. The bearing stores can sell better quality bearings for much less money. It will be well worth your time to go there in person, but make sure he gives you the cross reference numbers for each better quality bearing that he give you so you know which to substitute for each of the original numbers. 

The partial back and forth motion of most of the bearings in a 788 is what wears them out. This motion gradually pushes the grease in the bearing away from the portion of the bearing receiving the wear. If the bearing could rotate 360 degrees the grease would be continually spread around the whole bearing, When adding grease you need to get it inside the bearing and not on the outside. The small bearings with the sleeves are best lubricated by removing the center sleeve and then just wiping a tiny amount of synthetic grease to the inside walls of the bearing with a flat sided toothpick and then replace the sleeve  Spin the sleeve a few revolutions to distribute the grease and then replace the bolt. The larger bearings back on the motor shaft and rocker arm have side covers and are permanently greased, so you can't effectively grease them. Replacement when they get worn is the best solution for these. Synthetic grease does not harden over time and use so it is much better for these bearings. Automotive bearing grease and Lubriplate will thicken and harden over time and the automotive bearing grease is way too thick for use in these tiny bearings.

Do it once and do it right, and you will likely go years before you need to do it again. Start at one end of the saw and systematically remove and replace the bearings one or two at a time, putting the saw back together each time. Then go to the next bearing location and do the same. Be careful to replace washers, spacers, etc back where they were. If you take the whole saw apart at the same time you will forget where these washers and spacers came from and will quite likely never get the saw back together properly again. Don't take the covers off both sides of the saw at the same time either. The covers are the exoskeleton (frame) of the saw and it will fall apart if both covers are removed at the same time. This isn't a very hard job, but it can be if you try to do too much at once. 

Charley. 

Edited by CharleyL

Excellent info Charley and thanks for the link to your post.  I printed it off for reference.

If I'd seen/found that one, I likely wouldn't have needed to bother everyone.  ;-)

Charley is giving you good advice. He has spent a lot of his life making and fixing things. I bet most of those bearings are the same if not all. That would cut production cost. You can also take the bearing and the sleeve to the store and they can measure them or cross reference the numbers that is on them. From watching the video I think it's pretty straight forward and I really don't think you will have a problem.