Blade difference?

JimErn

Hi Jim,

Puzzle blades are extremely thin and are meant for using with 1/8" or 1/4" wood to make ultra tight turns with the narrowest gaps possible.  You can use them for other intricate work also if you prefer.  

Compare the width of the Olsen Skip Tooth (page 2) size 3/0 blade which is the smallest they make, compared to the Flying Dutchman Superior Puzzle Blade.  When cutting puzzles obviously the gap between pieces is very important.  Whereas it's not as critical for every day intricate fretwork.  If you enjoy cursing every time a blade snaps, you'll love puzzle blades.  ;-)

http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/Olson-scrollblade-chart.pdf

http://www.scrollsawbladespatterns.com/puzzle_style.htm

Iggy

Edited by Iguanadon

For intricate fret patterns and very narrow lines, the puzzle blade is my "go to" blade. They can make exceptionally tight turns and give me the best results. They do tend to become dull faster. I see that when they start to "stall" in the cut and then jump forward when dull. They also break more often but the quality and precision of the cut is what matters.

Puzzle blades have the back side of the blade rounded, just a bit, this is what makes them so easy to make the sharp turning cuts with.

Len

Nice that it comes that way, I do it first thing to all my blades when installing a new one, wrap a piece of fine wet dry crocus cloth, run the saw and let it do the work.

• 3 weeks later...